General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 4cly won't start after overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Default 2006 4cly won't start after overheating

Thank you in advance for you help.
I was driving on the freeway and blew a radiator hose. I did not notice it until it was too late. (It Severly overheated)
I replaced the hose, refilled with coolant and pressure tested the system. No leaks. The car started right up and ran fine. I drove it home now the car will not start.
The car cranks as normal but does not fire.
Just to verify it was not a fuel issue I squirted starting fluid down the TB.
It kicked a lil but again no start.
I have not done a compression check yet.
How do I verify the COP are working?
It almost sounds like it is out of time. Cranking but no fire.
I just changed the timing chain last month. But the car started and ran fine for one trip after the overheating.
Is there anything else I can check?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a code reader, scan for codes.

Next would be the compression test.

To test for spark, you can use an old spark plug. Unplug the COP, pull from cylinder, reconnect electrical connector, put on external spark plug. Ground threads of spark plug, or use a spark tester. Have an assistant try to start the car, and look for spark at the plug.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 PM

Thanks PA. Not getting any codes.
I will check compression and spark.
Could the cam positioning sensors been messed up during the overheating? And if so, whouldnt there be a code thrown?
Thanks

Old 09-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

I would think a bad sensor would should throw a code. I wouldn't blindly throw a sensor at the car unless you have evidence of a sensor problem.

The compression test should indicate an internal compression issue, but your car did start and run normally after the repair.

You said that you had a sputter when spraying starting fluid. If you turn the key to the II position, but don't try to start the car, do you hear the fuel pump prime for about 2 seconds? It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc and listen carefully.

Look for any sensors near the original coolant leak for signs of damage on the wiring or coolant in the electrical connector?

Does your code reader also read live engine data?

Old 09-21-2017, 10:57 PM

Yes, my reader does do live reads.. what are you thinking of?
Also I was doing I little poking around and noticed that some of the wires on the back of the engine look a little burned. I don't know if this damage is new or not.
I am wondering if I should replace the entire harness that plugs into the C.O.P.s.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 4cly won't start after overheating-img_6318.jpg  
Old 09-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

For the live data, just look at the numbers to see if something is way off. Like the coolant temp reading way off, map sensor, throttle position, etc. If something looks way off, it could give you an idea of an are with possible heat damage.

I would try to find any damaged wiring and repair it first. Replacing the whole wire harness is a pain.

I can't tell what is going on in your picture. What is the tan part that looks charred/oil coated in the attached picture?

Old 09-23-2017, 01:26 PM

So, did a compression check and spark check today.
Compression was
Cyl- 1 168
Cyl- 2 180
Cyl- 3 180
Cyl- 4 180

Spark on all C.O.P.'s looked good.
I replaced all spark plugs and it started.. WTF.
But huge plumes of white smoke .. checked the oil and now there is water in the oil. Blown head gasket ? Or ?
The strange thing is that I checked for water in the oil right after I fixed the hose and none was seen.

Questions
#1- why did compression look so good in all cylinders? By all rights shouldn't I have seen one that was low?

#2- what is the possibility that I cracked the block? Or water is getting into the case another way?And how do I check that?

#3- since it overheated and coolant is in the oil, should I replace the spool valve and VVT solenoid?

So does anyone think the head is not warped? I really don't want to take head to machine shop....but I am sure everyone will confirm that I need to have head shaved..

Any opinions?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by mpanelli; 09-24-2017 at 10:39 AM.