General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Accord CL7 idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2006 Accord CL7 idle problem

Hi there. I m driving a Honda Accord CL7A, much like the EuroR but with auto transmission. Lately my idle seems to be having some problems. Sometimes its is perfectly ok but occasionally the idle drops to 500rpm and when i step on the accelarator, it will dip/hesitate n then it will move off! Tried cleaning the throttle body n the IACV but problem still persists. I also realised that if i turn off the air conditioning, sometimes the hesitation before moving disappears. But sometimes its still there! Is it because of faulty IACV? please help...

Old 11-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your symptoms certainly suggest idle speed control problem.

On earlier models, and probably yours as well, it is important to clean the throttle plate (both sides) w/ throttle body cleaner to allow some air past the throttle plate.

You don't say, but it is assumed you don't have a Check Engine Light. If yes, you need to get the Pnnnn code and repost.

Clean the IACV valve movement and air passage w/ throttle body cleaner.

I checked the Honda Shop Manual I have and it has a precaution not to clean the bearing area of the throttle plate shaft and to use only Honda throttle plate and induction system cleaner. Manual recommends removal of throttle body for cleaning. It also precautions against spraying throttle body cleaner "directly onto the throttle body". Presumably they mean the exterior, since you have to spray the interior to clean. It may be best to clean w/ a paper towel soaked w/ throttle body cleaner.

If you don't have a Honda Shop Manual, I would recommend one. One mistake prevented will pay for the manual, ~$100 as I recollect.

good luck

Old 11-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks TexasHonda, i will try out your recommendation.

Correct me if i m wrong, but the IACV is the one located at the bottom of the throttle body, right? The one with 2 hoses for the coolant to run through. Am i right?

So what does the other one, located on the other side of the throttle cable swindle, do? Its located on the outer part of the throttle plate, black in colour has 2 screws that you can loosen to adjust the idle timing. Its doesnt have any hoses or anything, only a male/female three pin connector. I checked and its called the IACV too.. Very confused now....

Old 11-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Yes, IACV is on bottom of throttle body.

I think you're referring to throttle position sensor, which measures throttle plate angle for ECU control of fuel/air.

good luck

Old 11-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you so much for your explanation. Now i understand.. So do i do anytng to the throttle position sensor? (Like adjust it to make the idling go higher)... How do i adjust the IACV because the space is so small.. Do i reset the ECU?

Old 11-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Default hi

to reset IACV get your stuff to some service center they will do that better

Old 11-26-2010, 07:09 AM

You don't adjust Throttle Position Sensor.

If you want to do this, you need the shop manual to guide your work. It will require removal of throttle body (based on my reading).

My earlier instructions give a high level view of what needs to be done. If you think you need more help, the manual is best support.

good luck

Old 11-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Roger that. Thanks TexasHonda.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey there, I have already clean the TB with TB cleaner (gosh! it was so dirty!). I will be fixing the TB back in the car and hope everything goes as planned.

By the way, I remembered reading a post teaching u how to reset the ECU and force it to re learn the idle.. Can someone please run by me again the steps. And they mentioned something bout taking out the 7.5A fuse to reset the ECU n placing it in again. Which 7.5A fuse is it? Is it the one in the fuse box in the engine bay or the one in the interior beside the driver's seat? Do i take it out when the engine is running or when it is not?

Old 11-28-2010, 08:01 AM

Not sure if removing the 7.5A fuse will reset ECU in 2007 model, but if it does the fuse is removed w/ engine Off.

I'll check my manual and see if any guidance on resetting ECU is provided.

After some further reading, I'm fairly certain that removing a fuse will not reset the ECM. I do believe you need an idle relearn procedure based on reading the manual. Here's the procedure:

1) Make sure all electrical itmes are OFF.
2) Reset the ECM/PCM w/ HDS (you will need a generic scanner to reset the ECM)
3) Turn the ignition switch ON, and wait 2 secs.
4) Start engine and hold at 3K rpm w/o load until radiator fans come on or until coolant temp reaches 194F.
5) Let engine idle for 5 mins w/ throttle fully closed.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 11-28-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: 2006 Accord CL7 idle problem