General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2006 Accord EX air conditioning problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 09:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Cool 2006 Accord EX air conditioning problems

Recently my air conditioning unit has been failing. I have a few clues that I am hopeful will give somebody on here an idea to help me.
1. I have run the diagnostic test found here and do not get any error codes.
2. If the auto air is on and set to a cool temperature and it is hot outside (and inside the car like from sitting in a parking lot), it will not cool the car. However, if I put it on recirculating air it will cool. If I switch back to auto mode once the air cools down the air gets warmer.
3. The driver's side vents (to the left and right and closest of the steering wheel), will not get as cool as the two on the passenger side.
4. When I am sitting at a red light on auto mode, the air is not cool. Magically when I start moving again, the air sometimes turns cool.
For a few years now, there has been a clicking sound that seems to be coming from under the steering wheel. When it started nothing changed and it has not affected the way the HVAC functions. When I took it to the dealership for an oil change the guy said it wasn't really anything to worry about and mentioned something about the fan. I don't remember what he said since it years ago and it wasn't a problem. Also, when this noise would annoy me I would turn the air all the way cool and then it would stop. From there I would raise the temperature to where I felt comfortable and most of the time the clicking did not return.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure about the clicking part. If it is still clicking, try to find the location of the clicking.

You should look at the compressor pulley with the engine running to see if the clutch spins with the pulley the whole time when you turn on your a/c.

The other test you should do is to connect an a/c manifold to the high and low lines to read the pressures when the a/c is running. Please do not run out and buy R-134a and add it to the a/c system. Is this dangerous, can damage the a/c system, and could hurt you.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:23 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you are not cooking at a stop but are when moving your a/c fan should be bad. Turn you ac on and check to see if the fan is moving if not then replace and continue troubleshooting your other issue. One side cooling but the other isn't can be either low Freon or blend door is bad (my bet blend door since you have the click). I have an 07 and have had to replace my driver side blend door last year. Mine started with clicking and finally gave out. It is an easy fix and should only take you about 10 mins. Ot sits behind the panel we're your right foot is. Once those 2 things are fixed test everything and report back

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 07-24-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I'm not sure about the clicking part. If it is still clicking, try to find the location of the clicking.

You should look at the compressor pulley with the engine running to see if the clutch spins with the pulley the whole time when you turn on your a/c.

The other test you should do is to connect an a/c manifold to the high and low lines to read the pressures when the a/c is running. Please do not run out and buy R-134a and add it to the a/c system. Is this dangerous, can damage the a/c system, and could hurt you.

I do not have a way to check the a/c manifold. Is this something someone at an auto store (Auto Zone or Advanced) could do for me?

Old 07-25-2018, 04:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
If you are not cooking at a stop but are when moving your a/c fan should be bad. Turn you ac on and check to see if the fan is moving if not then replace and continue troubleshooting your other issue. One side cooling but the other isn't can be either low Freon or blend door is bad (my bet blend door since you have the click). I have an 07 and have had to replace my driver side blend door last year. Mine started with clicking and finally gave out. It is an easy fix and should only take you about 10 mins. Ot sits behind the panel we're your right foot is. Once those 2 things are fixed test everything and report back
Thanks. I will try to look into this tonight.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda

It appears the compressor pulley starts and stops when I turn on and off the a/c. It speeds up when I press the accelerator.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

There are 2 fans behind the radiator. The one on the driver's side does not spin. The one on the passenger side does spin as long as the a/c is on.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I just checked the fuses and the cooling fan fuse was blown. Now both fans move when I turn the a/c on. I have replaced it and will test again more tomorrow.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

how do you replace the blend door?

Old 07-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

The driver's side fan should also spin. Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder engine?

Quick Reply: 2006 Accord EX air conditioning problems