General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Accord SE brakes: What do you guys make of this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Default 2006 Accord SE brakes: What do you guys make of this?

On 9-13-09, I took my SE to Big Brand Tires so they could remove a screw in one of my tires and patch it up. While doing this they checked my brakes and stated that the front pads were at 60% and the rear at 70%. At this point, my car had 32, 154 miles.

Fast forward to 3-25-10. My car now has 45,288 miles (I bought the car with only 15,100 miles on her in 2-2009!). In about 6 months, I put 13, 122 miles. Yep, I drive a bit, but it's all highway miles. So, anyway, I take my car in to a Honda dealership to have them replace the brake fluid and do a radiator flush. Up to this point, the brakes only made a slight, high pitched noise here and there. Now, A DAY AFTER getting the brake fluid replaced, my brakes sound like crap. Specifically, it sounds as if the WEAR indicator is making SPECTACULAR contact to make me aware that it's time to change the pads by SCREECHING likes there no tomorrow. I almost feel as if they put on old pads to make this happen so I can drop some money.

What do you guys think? Ya think that this is a big coincidence that the brakes are making a SPECTACULAR screeching noise? Or do you think that the Honda dealership did something?

Oh, I also want to add that I now hear a wear humming noise from the back when I'm on the brakes that was NEVER there before? What the hell is that? It's sounds like a loud ZZZZZ or something. I guess that's not a hum, though, huh?

I'm going back to the damn dealership tomorrow. I'm pissed, especially after spending $216 there for the work they did.

ETA: Prior to this, I have had NO complaints about my ride. She's been a great car so far.

Last edited by HondaAficionado; 03-27-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:03 AM

My guess is they took your pads out to check them, and did a shabby job of re-installing them (cleaned all the anti-squeal paste off the pads and shims, then didn't re-apply it on installation).

Old 03-27-2010, 12:36 AM

Okay, thanks for the feedback! So, maybe this is what I should tell the service guy when I go back tomorrow? I bet you they are going to give me some bullsh*t explanation and that I need new brake pads.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:39 AM

Well, I'm going in to the Honda dealership. I hope they don't try to screw me over, or something. Will update later on.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:33 AM

Honda dealer stated that they didn't touch the brakes, so that they would have to charge to see why the brakes are screeching. I said, "thanks," and took off to Big Brand Tires to see what's going on via their free brake inspection. The Honda dealer, however, did top off my coolant, which was really low in light of servicing the radiator on Thursday. Hey, at least they did that.

So, right now, I'm waiting to see what the verdict will be with the brakes.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:03 PM

Just finished checking out the brake situation at Big Brand Tires. Front brake pads are at 6mm and wearing fine. No issues out front.

At the rear, the rear left pad is at 2mm and the wear indicator is hittin'. The right rear pad is at 4mm and still serviceable, but I gotta do both pads. And I'm getting the both rear rotors resurfaced. The also going to add the anti-squeal stuff and clean stuff up.

Total damage is $164.

I liked the fact that they took the time to actually show me and answer all of my questions.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

“anti-squeal stuff” Are you referring to the Hi Temp Grease or stuff that looks like bathroom caulk . The one that is like caulk is made for cars that the outer pad attaches to the caliper and should never be used on a Honda.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HondaAficionado
At the rear, the rear left pad is at 2mm and the wear indicator is hittin'. The right rear pad is at 4mm and still serviceable, but I gotta do both pads. And I'm getting the both rear rotors resurfaced. The also going to add the anti-squeal stuff and clean stuff up.
ALL 4 pads. New pads on both rear wheels. Don't just put new pads on 1 wheel, ESPECIALLY if you're resurfacing both rotors.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
“anti-squeal stuff” Are you referring to the Hi Temp Grease or stuff that looks like bathroom caulk . The one that is like caulk is made for cars that the outer pad attaches to the caliper and should never be used on a Honda.
It's a gray paste, that looks like never-seize. You get a small packet of it with the Honda pads. It goes between the pad backing and shims. Some people say they use it on the slide pins, but I would rather use high temp grease for that.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
ALL 4 pads. New pads on both rear wheels. Don't just put new pads on 1 wheel, ESPECIALLY if you're resurfacing both rotors.
I was told that I only needed to do the rear two pads, as they had to definitely change one, so they needed to do both. They also only resurfaced the REAR two rotors.

As for the front, the shop guy stated that the front rotors and pads were good to go so nothing needed to be done, but I guess this is the incorrect thing to do?

Quick Reply: 2006 Accord SE brakes: What do you guys make of this?