General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2006 Honda Accord Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid

I am new to this website. Specifications of my car:

Curb Weight: Approx. 3500 lbs.
Drivetrain: FWD; 5-speed automatic
Engine: 3.0L V6 24V MPFI SOHC Hybrid
Performance: 235 ft-lbs. of torque @ 5000 rpm; 260 hp @ 6000 rpm
Aftermarket: American Racing 16" rims; Custom fabricated short ram air intake by Velocity Factor

Unfortunately, I started having some trouble after the custom fabrication and installation of my short ram air intake. It makes popping noises randomly when driving. Some noises seem to be coming from under the hood while others seem to be traveling through my exhaust and out. Sometimes I can lightly feel a quick vibration on the pedal when the sound is triggered. I got it looked at today by the makers and they said it could be slight misfires and/or backfires that should not damage or effect my car, even over time.

What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid-my-engine.jpg   2006 Honda Accord Hybrid-my-car.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF.

I would think if there was a misfire, there would be a code set by the PCM. Was/is the check engine light on at any time?

Do this seem to happen right after any work....you talked about the air intake for example?

Old 03-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I thought it was a misfire at first as well. The thing is, the check engine light has never came on. Do you think it could be very light misfires with some backfire in addition? It happens completely randomly. The issue came up right after the custom intake installation.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

The CEL NEVER comes on?

How about for 2 seconds when you first turn the key ON (bulb-check)?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

All lights appear to be working properly after I start the car. The check engine light has never came on while driving.

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Maxwell; 03-19-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe related to the cylinder-deactivation system?? I really don't know much about that system other than hearing people talk about vibrations when it switches in & out.

About the CEL, I was just trying not to take anything for granted.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Some of the noises could be related to the cylinders switching on and off. The thing is, the car will sometimes make a different and more loud popping sound when I literally turn. It can also happen at random. For instance, I was on the highway the other day going about 75 miles per hour and my car would make either of the strange noises at that maintained speed.

I do not mind the check engine light comment you made, Jim. I appreciate any feedback that could help resolve this issue!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Noises are fun over the internet. I can't hear it from here.

Now I'm beginning to wonder about things like suspension parts "popping" when you turn. Ball joints? Anti-roll-bar bushings or end-links?

Bushings on the inboard end of the lower control arms?

Less likely, but I have heard of the entire subframe shifting, if it's mounting bolts are a bit loose.

Not to have you run out in a panic & replace all the suspension stuff, but these are things to check and rule-out one-by-one.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I believe the short ram air intake was actually put in incorrectly and is not receiving enough air or "suffocating." I had some friends experienced in this field check it out in person today and then go for a ride with me. As of now, I am actually pursuing a legal dispute.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:15 PM

I had a motorcycle that did that after changing the air intake system. That required re-jetting the carbs, as it would run too rich.After I did, the popping was eliminated. I know the car isn't a bike, but something to think about.

Quick Reply: 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid