General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 (03-07) Honda Accord ATF Transmission Fluid Flush (Refill & Drain)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2007 (03-07) Honda Accord ATF Transmission Fluid Flush (Refill & Drain)

I did an ATF change the other day and decided to film it. Tried to make it as forward as possible. I used Honda ATF DW-1. My car is at 71k, and the fluid in there was stock.

Video: 2007 Honda Accord V6 Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Change/ Flush - Drain and Refill - YouTube

Post Fluid Swap: I really let it rip after I changed the ATF fluid. I could instantly tell the difference in the shifty quality. Considering the transmission is pretty much right below me, I could always feel the transmission as I drove. I would feel the shifts with the old Z1/stock fluid, but after this swap I feel absolutely nothing. They're smooth, especially in the cold now. I drove with the temperature in the teens, and the transmission was nice and swift when shifting. I definitely recommend a fluid swap with the new ATF DW-1 if you feel hard shifts or drive in cold temperatures. A night and day difference in my opinion

Going forward: I think the smart thing to do would be to drain and refill the ATF fluid only once every year/15k miles. I think it beats the 30k interval that they suggest. I think having new fluid in there every year beats waiting 2-3 years and replacing all of it through multiple drain and fills. Also gives me a reason to work on the car.

I also look forward to changing the transmission filter in the future. I understand it is external, but that is a video I'll do sometime in the future.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:45 AM

This posting reads like a commercial advertisement. I don't think it is appropriate in this forum section and should be in the vender area.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by fvansan
This posting reads like a commercial advertisement. I don't think it is appropriate in this forum section and should be in the vender area.
Oh yeah? And what exactly am I advertising?

Maybe you should have read it all.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Max Utility,

I would ignore the first response. That is from a relatively new member.

Thanks for the excellent writeup and DIY. May copy your post to the DIY section for other members to have a good reference for DIY transmission changes.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:07 PM

Nice job on the video! An ATF drain/flush on Honda cars/vans is easier than doing an oil change as long as you have the right funnel to fill the tranny. On my 97 Accord and 04 Odyssey, I fill ATF through the dip-stick tube. I also like the Honda DW-1 ATF ... good stuff.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

thanks for the video.

I'm just 3 months into my first AT car, a '97 Accord.
On purchase in OCT I did a drain and fill x2 with Z-1 fluid.
Car shifts firmly, which seems good to me.

Does anyone know if this (synthetic?) DW-1 ATF fluid is compatible with the seals on a '97. or is recommended for that year?

Old 12-16-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh
Does anyone know if this (synthetic?) DW-1 ATF fluid is compatible with the seals on a '97. or is recommended for that year?
I just did a ATF D/F on my 97 Accord with DW-1. I just know it's suppose to be a replacement for the Z1 ATF.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by UhOh
thanks for the video.

I'm just 3 months into my first AT car, a '97 Accord.
On purchase in OCT I did a drain and fill x2 with Z-1 fluid.
Car shifts firmly, which seems good to me.

Thanks for the props on the video. Let me know if I should change or add anything. I'm willing to do so.

The DW-1 ATF is backwards compatible. That is, if you have a 2011 or older, it will work. But never put Z1 in a 2011 + newer model.

I don't think it is synthetic. It doesn't say anywhere on the bottle that it is. I've read that the Canadian ATF is synthetic and it says so on the bottle, but it may be because of legal requirements for the ATF? I'm not sure.

Here are some pictures of the ATF DW-1 I have:

Front: imgur: the simple image sharer
Back: imgur: the simple image sharer

Let me know if you want some more info or pictures.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 PM

Max, funny I actually watched that video the other day. Didnt know you did it. Good job. Btw, that genius who said this was a commercial???? Where did that come from?

I bought a case of DW today from the dealer. Got it for just over $6 a qt (if you buy a case). It pays to shop cuz the other dealer wanted $10 a qt.

At that price, might as well stick with Honda DW cuz its cheaper than the after market compatibles.

I'll be changing oil this weekend. Should the tranny oil be cold or should I drive the car a bit b4 changing the oil?

Last edited by tobybul; 02-03-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by tobybul
Max, funny I actually watched that video the other day. Didnt know you did it. Good job. Btw, that genius who said this was a commercial???? Where did that come from?

I bought a case of DW today from the dealer. Got it for just over $6 a qt (if you buy a case). It pays to shop cuz the other dealer wanted $10 a qt.

At that price, might as well stick with Honda DW cuz its cheaper than the after market compatibles.

I'll be changing oil this weekend. Should the tranny oil be cold or should I drive the car a bit b4 changing the oil?
You will get more contaminants out, if the fluid is circulated and warm. Be careful removing the drain plug though, because the fluid will be pretty hot. Also, make sure the pan you use is placed well in front of the drain hole, because it will come out fast.

Quick Reply: 2007 (03-07) Honda Accord ATF Transmission Fluid Flush (Refill & Drain)