General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 EXL V6 Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Default 2007 EXL V6 Engine Noise

All, need assistance please in diagnosing the engine noise in my wifes' car. The mp4 is below of the recorded sound.

Thank you for your assistance.
TonyM

2007 EXL V6, 114,000 mi, Oil change last Sunday. Plugs at 100,000 mi, Timing Belt, tensioner, water pump, etc at 105,000 mi.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9111f0rxc5...HondaNoise.mp4

Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Noises are tough.

The tapping is likely a loose valve which should be cured w/ valve adjustment.

I also hear a high pitched squealing, which may be the problem you posted about. This sounds like a serpentine belt, or ac compressor idler bearing that is out of grease. A mechanic should be able to sort out which w/ serpentine belt removed.

good luck

Old 07-03-2013, 04:49 PM

TexasHonda, thanks, I did not hear any high pitch squealing and the tapping noise is much louder when the engine is cold. I have an appt. at the dealer next Monday for the power steering hose safety recall and I will ask them to check it out. If it is a valve adjustment I will try and do it myself. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I plan on going to Harbor Freight on Friday and pick up new jack stands and misc tools for my toolbox.
TonyM

Old 07-06-2013, 08:39 AM

Update: Brother-in-law came by and looked at this noise issue. Had me turn off the A/C and the noise tapping sound stopped. He agreed the car is a little noisy, but, said that this is normal due to the mileage. Now the big question, is it the A/C compressor, pulley, bearing or the belt tensioner which may be going bad and only shows when it has the extra load of the A/C on? Any ideas?
Thanks.
TonyM

Old 07-06-2013, 09:15 AM

I've seen a loose serpentine belt (stretched/worn) allow the tensioner to "bottom out". When this happens the tensioner movement will strike the stop and make a tapping sound. Usually there is an indicator which shows when belt has become too long. If you're near or at that mark, a new serpentine belt may fix the problem.

As you pointed out it could also be compressor noise or worn ac clutch bearing.

good luck

Old 07-08-2013, 01:26 PM

Update #2. Went to the $Honda $Dealer this morning for the power steering hose recall and inquired about them diagnosing the noise. They said it would be $114 for this, I had to tell them no thanks. They replaced the PS hose under the recall $0 and I went my way. Now I am back at square one in trying to find out about the noise. I tried listening to the various points on the engine with a stethascope but could hear nothing but the same tapping noise everywhere when the A/C was on. I had my wife turn the A/C on and off a couple of times while I watched the belt tensioner and it did not move that much more either on or off. This seems to be ok, could someone please help with the next T/S step.

TonyM

Also, just took off the serpentine belt and the tapping noise did not happen when the A/C was turned on, put the belt back on and it is there again. Belt was changed with the timing belt job done at 105K and it looked linke brand new. So how do I go about and narrow it down so that I do not change everything as there are six different points of failure here?

Thanks all.

Last edited by TonyM-2007; 07-08-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Update.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 PM

Since you know the AC compressor is making the noise (tensioner ruled out), the fault must lie w/ the compressor, possibly a faulty compressor.

good luck

Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 AM

TexasHonda, Thanks, do you know if I can just change the pully/bearing on the A/C Compressor or do I have to have the who thing changed? I am getting very cold air out of the A/C so that part of the system is still working.
TonyM.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 AM

The pulley turns all the time (clutch engaged or not) so noise going away when compressor is disengaged implicates the compressor itself.

It might be possible for pulley bearing to only make noise while compressor is turning, but this seems unlikely.

You can change the pulley bearing w/o discharging AC, but compressor must be dismounted to gain access to compressor clutch. Check youtube videos for examples.

good luck

Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 AM

TexasHonda, thanks for all the advise. Talked with the wife yesterday and as the A/C is still working she is going to live with the noise for a while.. As this is not a safety issue cannot see putting $600-$800 into the car at this time. Found aftermarket parts at $325 for a kit, Compressor/Dryer/Valve/O-Rings/Oil. However, I would still have to pay a mechanic to evacuate and recharge the system properly. All the reading I have done says that these system are very delicate and require the proper amount of Oil and Gas down to the ounce which I do not think that I can do.
TonyM

Quick Reply: 2007 EXL V6 Engine Noise