General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Honda Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Default 2007 Honda Accord EX

I just purchased a 2007 Honda Accord EX. I have had it foronly one month. I recently noticed that it makes a sound like a helicopter (just not as loud) that sounds like it is coming from theengine& I have no idea what could be wrong. I hear it the most when the car is idle. It's is really bothering me because this is my 1st brand new car & I wasn't expecting to have any problems with it. I know nothing about cars! Any[sm=helpout.gif] in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 09-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Default RE: 2007 Honda Accord EX

Is it a 4 banger?

Old 09-13-2007, 09:55 AM

Yes it is...

Old 09-13-2007, 10:54 AM

Any way you could open the hood and crank the car to see if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:56 AM

Idle, A/C on, 90 Degree + temp....Best guess is your cooling fans are comming on as designed..

Old 09-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

"Like a helicopter" - to me that sounds like it a leak in the exhaust manifold.

When it happens, open the hood & try to pinpoint the location of the sound. That would help a lot since we can't hear it from here.

It should be under warranty, right? Goto your dealerand asksomeone to listen. Then let us know what he says for a reality-check.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:14 PM

What is the exhaust manifold? Would that be covered under warranty? Is that a major fix? I will try to listen to what area the sound is coming from when I get out of work tonight. Yes, it is still under warranty (3 years) and I also got an extended warranty so I'm covered for 7 years total. I do plan on taking it to the dealer but I know it won't make the noise when I am there (that's how it always goes) so they can actually hear it. I will keep you posted. thanks for your help.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:16 PM

The A/C wasn't on and it has on lt been in the 60's, low 70's here. Nothing was on, just the car & the radio, lol. Do cooling fans sound like a helicopter?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Cooling fans make a whooshing sound, like a box fan only louder. If one blade is warped or something, it might be uneven? A blade might even be rubbing against something when it spins.

Open the hood. The cooling fans are mounted on the inside of the radiator, they pull air through the front of the car into the engine compartment. If you're watching when they switch on, it will be very obvious where the noise is coming from. (Keep your fingers out, they can switch on whenever they feel like it, if the engine is running.) Spin the fans (only with car cold & switched off!!) to make sure they don't hit anything.

The exhaust manifold is attached to the back side of the engine, mostly out of sight. It collects the exhaust from each of the 4 cylinders and combines it into one exhaust pipe. If it leaks where it's bolted up to the engine, it makes a kind of sharp puffing sound each time that cylinder fires.

Fan noise is normal. Leakingexhaust manifold gasket in a new car is pretty unusual, butit will certainly be covered under warranty.

Then again it might be something completely different. We'll have to wait for you to find the location.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:52 PM

I may be WAY off base here but, if the oil filler cap is left off the backpressure will make a similar sound to what you are describing.

Quick Reply: 2007 Honda Accord EX