General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 Accord with P339 code and CEL light blinking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 04:01 PM
Default 2008 Accord with P339 code and CEL light blinking.

Please forgive me for I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but I couldnt find the thread.
My 2008 Accord is stuck in Limp mode with a flashing CEL at teh dealer.
Background:
1- Starter replaced about 5 months ago at local mechanic. Noticed it was a little slower but works fine.
2- 4 weeks ago - Got the Check engine light, VCR light and limp mode but restarting the engine a couple times and it went away.
Figured it was computer reset due to cleaning the battery the night before. Running well.
3- 2 weeks ago - back into limp mode with flashing CEL. Local shop replaced one Cam sensor and crank sensor, relearned computer but couldn't get it out of limp mode or CEL to go off. Said I needed computer flash update at Honda dealer.
4- Towed to dealer- They said it needs Honda sensors and starter for update to work. Im checking with Local shop but I'm sure they
didnt use Honda , just charged the same. Honda also said bring in the old sensors but Id be surprised if he still had them ( Im calling on Monday )

Question: Do you really need Honda sensors and Battery for flash to work? Doesn't the flash just open the spec from the sensors. I hate to pay for the starter sensors and install all over again but the car is probably worth it . It also has the VCR rattle on cold start up but I dont thins that is related.

Any info would be appreciated.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Can you post the actual code that you got. They start with the letter P and have 4 numbers, like P1234.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:58 PM

The only code I remember is the P339 . The other two said intermittent misfire cyl 1 and Cyl 2 but I dont have the actual code. I think it was P302 and P303. The local mechanic referred to the SB09-050 and SB 09-010 when he sent me to Honda.
Thank you.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

P0339 is crank sensor intermittent interruption. P0301 and P0302 are misfires on cylinders 1 and 2 respectively.

You don't need a Honda battery or a Honda starter for the PCM flash to work. If the replacement sensors are giving the proper signal, then you shouldn't need them replaced either.

Is this a 4-cylinder or V6 accord?

Old 12-31-2018, 05:32 AM

Thanks PAhonda,
This is a 4 cylinder.. Honda just asked if the sensors were Honda and said the update wouldnt work if they were not Honda ,They didnt say anything about whether they were getting the correct signal. What your saying sounds correct, If they give the correct signal the computer shouldn't care.
But its hard to argue with the dealer.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:39 AM

Sorry if I am repeating some of these issues , just trying to limit the damage. Same codes , P339 with Cylinders 2 and 3 miss fires.
1- Starter replaced about 5 months ago at local mechanic. Noticed it was a little slower but works fine.
2- 4 weeks ago - Got the Check engine light, VCR light and limp mode but restarting the engine a couple times and it went away.
Figured it was computer reset due to cleaning the battery the night before. Running well.
3- 2 weeks ago - back into limp mode with flashing CEL. Local shop replaced one Cam sensor and crank sensor, relearned computer but couldn't get it out of limp mode or CEL to go off. Said I needed computer flash update at Honda dealer.
4- Towed to dealer- They said it needs Honda sensors and starter for update to work. Im checking with Local shop but I'm sure they
didnt use Honda , just charged the same. Honda also said bring in the old sensors but Id be surprised if he still had them ( Im calling on Monday )

Question: Do you really need Honda sensors and Battery for flash to work? Doesn't the flash just open the spec from the sensors. I hate to pay for the starter sensors and install all over again but the car is probably worth it . It also has the VCR rattle on cold start up but I dont think that is related.

Thanks for any info.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

You don't need Honda sensors as long as the replacement sensors generate the same signal. Call your local mechanic to find out if they used OEM Honda parts.

The car absolutely does not require a Honda starter to reflash the PCM. If they insist, get that in writing and call Honda of America's 1-800 customer service number to file a complaint.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:09 PM

Wow, Thank you so much. Calling Local shop as soon as they come in ( long holiday ). That would save a lot of $$.

Thanks for all your help. Have a great New Years .

Old 01-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Honda doesn't manufacture many of the sensors anyway. They're Denso or some other make with a Honda logo on the box. So if your shop tells you which brand they used for which sensor, some of us can probably pick out a suspicious off-brand that people have learned to avoid.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:50 AM

Thanks , PAhonda They beat me. Honda said the aftermarket starter was blocking the update and said I should tow it back to the outside shop and have them redo it. It was still in limp mod so of course I gave in and paid them put in the Honda starter. Drove it home no problem and when I restarted the car , CEL was on but not blinking. I looked at the receipt and it stated that the car already had the latest software and that they just "relearned " the sensors. Over the next couple days , the light went off and then back on but no limp mode. Another Local shop pulled the code and it was the same PO339 but said it was off/reset by the time they checked.
JimBlake, Local shop wouldn't be clear on what the brand was but I may just buy the honda crank pos sensor from the Web and put it in myself..
( Just got a 2016 Accord for my wife so I have time now ) . Or if you could recommend reputable supplier. Im not sure what the "relearn" the sensors means that two shops charged me for but another told me it was just clearing the code and the Computer going through its checks. I dont think I need Honda for that.

Thanks for all you help.

Quick Reply: 2008 Accord with P339 code and CEL light blinking.