General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Accord Reliability Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Default 2008 Accord Reliability Problems?

I am looking at getting a 2008 Accord and even though it hasn't been out that long, I want to know from those who have one if you have had any problems with it. My reasons for asking are this;

1. It is a new body style so there are possible squeak, rattle, fit up problems.
2. I have owned three different Hondas and had three transmissions fail on two different vehicles.
3. This car, for me, will be mine for at least 250,000 miles because I keep them a long time.

I am very happy with my 1993 Accord but have mixed emotions about my Odyssey due to transmission problems. I believe Honda makes a quality product however I am aware of some of the older models having trans issues and first year body styles having minor quality issues. Please tell me your experiences with this year car.

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Default RE: 2008 Accord Reliability Problems?

based on what other members have posted I don't recall seeing any rattle issues, one person complained that they didn't like the way it felt when it shifted gears but suprisingly few complaints to date....

Old 05-06-2008, 06:56 PM
muskokatennis
Unregistered

08 accord EX-L sedan 5spd silver...3rd gear is notchy. Semi-engages when its cold if not careful, release the clutch and hear them grind. Only did it once, but my girlfriend has short arms. tpms light went off after I removed my winter(no tpms sensor) wheels and put the stock ones back on..that was good. Stereo dosn't sound as good as my previous car (maxima) but its pretty satisfactory. Engine has been great and the 4cyl pulls very well at high rmp. Door seals were poorly installed (corners came off on back doors). The battery has died twice on me with less thanhalf the stereo on time that it took to kill the maxima's battery. It looks like an ATV battery. The leather seats are not very comfortable on a long drive. Alot of hwy wind noise when driving in a cross wind @ hwy speeds.....All that said I love the car, and when its sufficiently broken in I know this engine is going to be fun to drive..It really seems to take off around 4000rpm and I'm sure when the vtec kicks in @5000rpm I'll be very impressed by this rather heavy car with a 4cyl engine.Havn't broken 4500rpm yet, still in granny mode for the most part. Pretty goodquality/$ overall even in a fresh redesign.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:33 PM

'08 EX-L 4 cyl auto- no problems and no complaints. the only thing that has come up is the front bumper paint issue posted here:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Des..._121194/tm.htm

Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

MikeT, what years & what engines (any V6?)were your priortranny failures? Are you looking at an '08 4-cyl or V-6?

The 4-cyl engine was COMPLETELY changed beginning in 2003 along with a new tranny, since that engine moved over to the other side of the engine compartment & spins the opposite direction. If you're looking at 4-cyl cars then past experience doesn't really apply.

I don't know if the V-6 auto tranny is much different than all the other V-6 since 1995 ???

Old 05-07-2008, 10:02 AM

08 Accord EX-L Sedan V6 5spd auto. I did a LOT of research before buying mine, and didn't find any glaring problems that would scare me a way from buying my first foriegn nameplate.

I fell in love with the new Accord's looks (didn't like them at all before). I have found ZERO issues with mine. No rattles, squeeks or otherwise.
The car is smooth and trouble free, WAY more power than I expected, and even with the V6, I'm knocking down 26mpg on my daily commute which is 25 miles each way and mix of highway and urban.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

MikeT, what years & what engines (any V6?)were your priortranny failures? Are you looking at an '08 4-cyl or V-6?
1993 Civic 4cyl. blown tranny and a 2001 V-6 Odyssey with two blown transmissions
ORIGINAL: JimBlake
The 4-cyl engine was COMPLETELY changed beginning in 2003 along with a new tranny, since that engine moved over to the other side of the engine compartment & spins the opposite direction. If you're looking at 4-cyl cars then past experience doesn't really apply.

I don't know if the V-6 auto tranny is much different than all the other V-6 since 1995 ???
I wasn't really considering a 4cyl Accord, I really wanted the V-6. With gas prices...... the 4 is looking better.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:43 PM

I've had no problems in 6 months / 6,000 miles.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:39 AM
nednj36
Unregistered

I took delivery of a V-6 Coupe a month ago and have a nasty wheel shimmy between 55-65 MPH. The dealer balance all four wheels on a Hunter 9700 road force balancer and the shimmy is still there. I'm going back next week for a wheel/tire swap from another stock vehicle. Other than the shimmy, the car is great. Powerful, good on gas, rattle free and fun to drive.

Just make sure when you test drive it you observe smoothness between 50-70 MPH. Hold the steering wheel very lightly and try to feel a shimmy, observe road manners at those speeds and try to sense body vibration.

I'm hoping my wheel shimmy is resolved on the next visit.

good luck!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:51 PM

That is some good advice. Our Odyssey is also very sensitive to wheel vibration between those speeds. The only thing we were able to do to minimize it was put a set of Michelins on it. The stock Bridgestones and a subsequent set of Pirelli's had this shimmy, but the Michelins did not.

I would hope that the problem you are having is isolated and not widespread on the '08 Accord.

Quick Reply: 2008 Accord Reliability Problems?