General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2008 honda accord vsa light

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Default 2008 honda accord vsa light

I have a 2008 honda accord, 4 cylinder automatic transmission. about a month ago my wife started car after getting off work. stopped at store and car acted like it wouldn't start but it did. vsa light came on and stayed on.also the engine light was on. she started home and it wouldn't get above about 45 to 50 mph. she told me about this when she got home and i got in it to check it out and it would not go faster than 20 mph. didn't have money to do anything with it so it sat for a bit. having issues with my truck also i bought a actron pocketscan plus. it was telling me that it was missing on no. two and no. three cylinders. i bought new spark plugs and installed them and that still did not solve issue. checked codes again and same codes coming up but this time it said random misfires. ordered the proper plugs since autozone doesn't carry them. got them from rockauto.com. battery went dead sitting so i charged it and it seems to loose a charge pretty fast and doesn't start vehicle properly even though my charger says battery is at 80 percent charged. had disconnected the battery terminals so now there is no codes. can anybody help me with this. can't really afford to take it to the dealer. would have to have it towed and all that good stuff. Please help

Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Default 2008 honda accord light

2008 honda accord, 4 cylinder, auto transmission. for got to mention that last time oil was changed they didnt reset the oil life counter and it is at -9999 and the wrench light is on. don't know if this would affect anything. thanks

Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

I merged your two threads.

What codes did you get?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:02 PM

codes were p0303 and p0302. mis fire on cylinder 2 and three.
i am new to this so i just did the quick reply. hope that is right. thank you

Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

When you try to start the car, does the starter spin the engine at the normal rate? Or does the engine not fire up (this is when the engine is running and you release the key)?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 PM

yes it seems to spin engine at normal rate but sometimes it acts like it isn't going to start and you have to turn it over longer than normal. that is when battery is charged up good. of course it drags some if battery isn't fully charged. like i said before my charger said battery was at 80 percent and it wouldn't start. it just dragged some and then clicked. i put it on charge again for about a 1/2 hour and the charger said it was fully charged and it started right up

Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 AM

was wondering if i needed to replace the ignition coils. seems unlikely that multiple iginition coils would go out at the same. hate to just start replacing parts. hopefully somebody will be able to help me with this

Old 08-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Is the charging system indicator light on or intermittently on? It may be due to an electrical problem.

If so, check the condition of the drive belt. The auto-tensioner for the belt has a gauge, check the position of the pointer to see if it is within the two lines (see attached pic for bottom lines). Then start the car, does the pointer move around when the car is on; if it moves around, the auto-tensioner may need to be replaced and the belt.

Also, bring the battery to have it tested. Some battery chargers may actually damage the battery.

Attached Thumbnails 2008 honda accord vsa light-tensioner-good-range.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 12:45 PM

would this make car not go over 20mph?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:16 PM

i was just out looking at belt and it looks good. tensioner is in specified range and does not move when vehicle is started. if i have battery cables disconnected i can hook them up and car will start but if i leave them connected i can go out about fifteen minutes later and it wont start and it acts like battery is dead. starts to turn over and just clicks. i had it started to check tentioner and when i step on gas pedal it will revv up to 3000 rpm and cut out and then revv back up to 3000 rpm and cut out again. did not realize untill now it was doing that. put scanner on it again after i ran it a minute and codes are same again. p0302 cylinder misfire. p0303 cylinder 3 misfire and p0300 random misfire.
thank you

Quick Reply: 2008 honda accord vsa light