General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2009 Accord LX 2.4L Rear Brake Sounds & Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Question 2009 Accord LX 2.4L Rear Brake Sounds & Newbie Questions

Hi guys, I bought a pre-owned 2009 Accord LX 2.4L Automatic about a year ago and figured in addition to asking for some help with the dreaded rear brakes of my Accord (seems to be the achilles heel of the car), I'd try to get some general questions out of the way because the shady mechanics I used to go to have given me the most unrealistic (and very expensive) "solutions".

Okay, here's a little background information. I changed all four rotors and pads on the car when I bought it. A thousand miles later I had to get my front rotors resurfaced because unbeknownst to me ONE harsh brake during the initial 500 hundred mile break in period will instantly warp rotors. Personally I blame the poor quality ceramic pads they used, but I digress. I'll be the martyr for that incident.

Shortly after, my rear left caliper conveniently seized. Had to get that replaced as well as the rear left pads and rotor. A little bit after that the front brakes were making a horrible screeching noise, they were replaced again under warranty. Then something in the rear brakes would create this terribly loud (and distracting) knocking noise when I would come to a stop and even when my foot wasn't on the brakes while driving slowly. I was told my E-brake cable was sticking and even that my newly replaced rotor was warped. They loosened the E-brake cable which I thought remedied the situation, until they came back and said I needed it replaced. Before I let those mechanics steal any more of my money, I went to a different mechanic.

From there I chose what I wanted to replace myself. He told me to replace the caliper they originally replaced (he thought that was the cause), I did so (under warranty of course). Knocking noise still there. He resurfaced the rotor on the RIGHT rear brake side, it made the noise go away UNTIL a week later. I then realized it was possibly the rear right caliper or rotor. I replaced both and now the knocking noise is gone.

As of now, my front brakes are powerful and noise-free and my rear brakes have no knocking noise. HOWEVER, I fear that something is definitely not right. Unfortunately (for my car as well as mental well being, since I'm cursed with hearing these dreaded noises), I hear a "rumbling" or light grinding noise when I come to a stop or am gently braking and turning, which is definitely coming from my rear brakes. Now, I fear that possibly the rear left caliper (the first one to be replaced) is occasionally sticking which is causing this very strange noise. It isn't very loud but you can definitely hear it. The rotors don't seem to be warped and as far as I know the pads are fine, they're less than 5000 miles old. When I brake while in reverse the noise is louder, it almost sounds like metal is being shifted and jumbled about, it's definitely coming from the brakes and is a rumbling kind of sound. When I step on the brakes, it sounds like the rear brakes are disengaging a bit late or even moving about. I'm really not sure. Does anyone have any experience or advice? I know the rear brakes wear out under 20,000 if certain pins aren't moved or something along those lines, I haven't done that so don't know what could be wrong. Both calipers are less than 5000 miles old, the right side alone has a brand new caliper and rotor.

That's my main concern. Here a few minor questions that if anyone could answer would be greatly appreciated:

When the car is on park and I press the brakes, I hear a click coming directly from my E-brake lever. Every time I press it I hear this click, but only in park. I don't hear it while driving. If this isn't a problem or is something normal that would be great, but if it's something I could fix I'd gladly do so.
(Answered)

Is getting 300-370 miles on a full 16/17 gallon tank average? If my math is correct that's only 18-22 miles per gallon and I tend to do a good amount of highway driving. Shouldn't I be getting more? I know if I have don't have the blower fan on I squeeze another 20-30 miles but still, it just seems a bit low.
(Answered, but I still don't know what to do to increase mileage besides driving more conservatively, which I already do)

There's a sticky about the blower fan making this strange vibrating noise, I notice it only when the fan is on low speeds because that's when you actually hear it, the solution to the problem was relatively simple but it doesn't give an actual process to how to go about fixing it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Everyone thinks I'm crazy for hearing these noises but they really bother me. Sometimes I like to just drive with no music on, the silence is relaxing. It's quite hard to do when my brakes rumble every stop and the blower fan sounds loud.
(Answered)

Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated!

Last edited by ovukelj; 11-16-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Just wanted to update any future readers so they don't waste their time answering. Thanks for the help, guys!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ovukelj

Here a few minor questions that if anyone could answer would be greatly appreciated:

Is getting 300-370 miles on a full 16/17 gallon tank average? If my math is correct that's only 18-22 miles per gallon and I tend to do a good amount of highway driving. Shouldn't I be getting more? I know if I have don't have the blower fan on I squeeze another 20-30 miles but still, it just seems a bit low.

There's a sticky about the blower fan making this strange vibrating noise, I notice it only when the fan is on low speeds because that's when you actually hear it, the solution to the problem was relatively simple but it doesn't give an actual process to how to go about fixing it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Everyone thinks I'm crazy for hearing these noises but they really bother me. Sometimes I like to just drive with no music on, the silence is relaxing. It's quite hard to do when my brakes rumble every stop and the blower fan sounds loud.

Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated!
I'll answer some of your questions in part right now; as I am a little tired, busy with other things, and not entirely focused at the moment.

• To calculate average mpg. Re-set trip meter; next time you refill gas, fill it up; divide trip miles by gallons of gas to fill up to get average mpg. Repeat to calculate anytime. If it was really 18-22 mpg with mostly highway mileage, that would be low.
  • For the blower motor noise, the passenger side insulated undercover is relatively inexpensive and easy to install. There are already slots for it (the V6 came with it, the 4 cylinders did not; but, have the slots to install it). Once you have the part, everything lines up with the slots under the dash. -- If you are still under warranty, they would cover it. The Honda service bulletin is 09-093.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
I'll answer some of your questions in part right now; as I am a little tired, busy with other things, and not entirely focused at the moment.

• To calculate average mpg. Re-set trip meter; next time you refill gas, fill it up; divide trip miles by gallons of gas to fill up to get average mpg. Repeat to calculate anytime. If it was really 18-22 mpg with mostly highway mileage, that would be low.
  • For the blower motor noise, the passenger side insulated undercover is relatively inexpensive and easy to install. There are already slots for it (the V6 came with it, the 4 cylinders did not; but, have the slots to install it). Once you have the part, everything lines up with the slots under the dash. -- If you are still under warranty, they would cover it. The Honda service bulletin is 09-093.
Any replies are appreciated. In terms of mileage, thats what I usually did. For example, last fill up I hit 380 miles and filled up 16.7 gallons. That was my record mileage and that's about 22 miles per gallon. What should I be getting? That was about half highway drive and half local driving, probably more highway than local.

Ah, thank you. That's going to make my life a lot easier.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

It also depends on how you drive, the road conditions, car properly maintained, etc.; but, with mostly highway, I would say you should see something closer to 29-32 mpg with an automatic. If it was a mixed of city/highway; but, more highway, then about 25-27 mpg.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I drove a 2006 Acura TSX w/ very similar engine on Monday for over 800 miles and mileage ranged from 31-37 mpg, w/ highest mileage recorded on flat rds. Hills make a big difference. Wife drives this car around town w/ almost no freeway driving and gets 26 mpg w/ ease.

Also driving habits make a huge difference. If you're the type that can't stand to be behind another driver and always are accelerating to pass and jack-rabbit start from stop lights, your mileage will suffer dramatically compared to modest acceleration and conservative driving.

Brakes should be inspected by a better shop than you used previously. There should not be brake issues after repairs.

good luck

Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Check this thread out for your brakes.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-rotors-27436/

It's not the one harsh stop that does it. It's hot pads clamped down on a hot rotor that isn't spinning. Shops don't always take the time to do that bedding-in procedure during the quick test-drive before they hand over the car.

And...
I agree with the others about the terrain & driving habits will have a HUGE influence on your MPG.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Check this thread out for your brakes.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-rotors-27436/

It's not the one harsh stop that does it. It's hot pads clamped down on a hot rotor that isn't spinning. Shops don't always take the time to do that bedding-in procedure during the quick test-drive before they hand over the car.

And...
I agree with the others about the terrain & driving habits will have a HUGE influence on your MPG.
Wow, I'm definitely going to do that the next time I change my brakes. What I always did was brake like a grandma (aka very gently) for a good 500 miles or so, I was following the advice of my mechanics. Good advice.

But what do I do about the rumbling noise? That's honestly my main concern. I'm going to try and improve my driving habits and see if that improves my MPG, too, thanks for the answers guys.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

I wasn't completely sure of the rumbling noise.

Wheel bearings? Or tire-tread worn in a funny manner. Swap your tires around & see if the sound moves to the other end of the car.

Conventional wisdom says that a bad wheel bearing will sound different when you drive around a corner. But I've had a bad wheel bearing (rear on 98 Accord) that didn't change in a corner.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

The clicking from the console is from the interlock.....your press the brake and a "switch" moves to alow the car to shift out of park into a gear.

Can't remember or find the TSB on the rear brake issue(s)....I know thie 08's had and issue and I "think" some of the 09's.......sucks getting old. On the 08 there were some where the caliper pins were switched - wrong position. I also think Honda upgraded/changed the hardware.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
The clicking from the console is from the interlock.....your press the brake and a "switch" moves to alow the car to shift out of park into a gear.

Can't remember or find the TSB on the rear brake issue(s)....I know thie 08's had and issue and I "think" some of the 09's.......sucks getting old. On the 08 there were some where the caliper pins were switched - wrong position. I also think Honda upgraded/changed the hardware.
Aha, thank you very much. I was worried that something was wrong. Glad it's just normal.

I see. If it's just the case of a few misplaced caliper pins, I figure that wouldn't be that hard to fix, right? I just don't understand whats causing this rumbling noise when I brake, it comes and goes, only at slow speeds. I'm just assuming it's because of these misplaced pins.

And the gas mileage is still a mystery. I had a fuel system cleaning when I first got the car, I use some Chevron every few thousand miles and I honestly don't drive like a maniac. It's just so odd, I know I should be getting a lot more.

Quick Reply: 2009 Accord LX 2.4L Rear Brake Sounds & Newbie Questions