General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Accord Consuming Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:18 PM
Default 2010 Accord Consuming Oil

Hi All. For the past couple years, my 4 cyl accord has been using over a quart of oil between changes. In fact, if I don't add oil, it starts making some bad noises.

After some googling, I realize that this is a well known issue. In fact, Honda has settled a class action law suit on the issue. The matter appears to be closed, and those involved were compensated. For those not in the suite, Honda has extended the warranty to cover this. However, to met their criteria, the car must consume over 1 qt oil / 1000 miles.

This is pretty standard for automakers, but is still extremely frustrating as a fan of Honda cars. So, I'm looking for some advice on how to handle this. Here are a couple options I'm considering:

1. I'm in the middle of the consumption test at Honda. If I drain a small amount out, I can make sure I fail there test and have to have the repair performed. A bit dishonest, but turn about is fair play?

2. Call Honda CS and complain repeatedly until they take care of my problem.

3. I've read that the PCV valve can cheaply be repaired and that solves the issue - but this isn't confirmed. Also, seems like it were really a cheap part, Honda would just take care of it and not **** of their customers with a ridiculous policy.

Anyone have advice or experience on the topic to share?

Old 05-31-2016, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

I don't want to start a debate or turn you off.

You didn't give a ton of details. Four or six cyl car. How many miles on the car. Do you change the oil when the MM says to or at a different time. How often do you CHECK the oil level. Are there any signs of a leak on the car.

Finish the test and don't cheat.

A loss of a quart of oil in ~7,500 miles is no unheard of.

The PCV is considered a wear item and should be replaced on a regular basis.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was addressing this post to people who are familiar with the issues related to the class action law suite, so I didn't feel the technical details were needed. I believe that suit is related to a common cause issue that is well understood.

If it helps, here are the details. I did say in the original post that this is a 4 cyl, it has 101k miles, but has been having low oil issues since around 50k miles. Zero signs of oil leaking - nothing on the garage floor and no sings of leaking from seals, pan, etc - the dealership checked. I also looked at the air filter and don't see residue in there (which I've read can be caused by PCV valve). It is using MORE than a quart per oil change, and while i know this is not "unheard of", it is something that can be fixed by Honda AND is caused by a design issue that has been confirmed by the courts.

So, to the three options listed:
I already know that it is not going to fail their test. If it were burning more than 1 qt/1000 miles, then it would run bone dry between oil changes, not just getting low enough to make weird noises and have performance issues.

I was hoping someone could confirm that a poorly design PCV valve either is or isn't the common cause of this issue for the models involved in the settlement.

Also wondering if anyone else has gone this route and been successful at getting Honda to fix the problem - if so, how?

Old 06-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Given your low oil consumption level, I'd lay odds Honda will not offer you any remediation. The thing is, adding a single quart of oil at some point during a normal oil change interval should be considered normal and no cause for A) alarm, or B) remediation of any sort.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

For models affected, the excessive oil consumption was principally due to the oil control rings (piston).

Your oil consumption is not considered excessive.