General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Accord EX Coupe Power Steering Creaking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Question 2013 Accord EX Coupe Power Steering Creaking Noise

I have a 2013 EX-L V6 Coupe purchased in December 2012. It has about 1K miles on it. I've noticed that whenever I turn the steering wheel to the extreme left or right while stationary or driving relatively slow, I can hear a creaking sound. It's not loud, but definitely noticeable. It almost sounds like some type of cables are being pulled tight. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a normal sound?
I previously had a 2006 Civic EX coupe and never heard a sound like this.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:24 PM

Hey there I also have the same model and the same problem with the steering. Any new updates or information you can give?

2013 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L V6 AT
Crystal Black

Old 05-19-2013, 05:01 PM

If its a 2013 you should take back to dealer where purchased as should be under warranty

Old 05-19-2013, 08:21 PM

I finally took it into the dealer. They thoroughly tested it, road tested it, and compared it to other new Accords on the lot. They said that it is a normal noise associated with electronic power steering. All of the models they tested made the same noise. So, apparently no issue.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Default Steering Column makes noise when turning slow

Have a 2013 Honda Accord EX-L, purchased new June 2013, started making a noticeable but soft popping/clicking noise coming from the steering column when turning the steering wheel. Took it to the dealer twice, they replaced the parts covering the airbag inside the steering column, and then finally admitted that there is no known fix to this noise. The Honda service rep even pointed out that a few people working for Honda have experienced the same noise from their 2013 Accord.
I'm very disappointed and even embarrassed that I'm stuck with a new car that makes a funny noise. What should I do, file a formal complaint with Honda? I'm not sure how to do that but I'll do some research. Seriously, I wish now that I had spent a little more $ and got a Volvo or maybe an Acura.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:22 PM

Amy,
Interesting information. It seems to conflict with what I was told by the dealer. My noise isn't very loud, but it is noticeable. I've learned to live with it.
I highly recommend that you send a letter to American Honda. I did for other issues that I had and received a call from a representative. They do take these issues seriously.

Send your letter here:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7A
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Make sure to include your phone number and VIN number.

If you contact them, keep us posted on what they say.
Steve

Last edited by initiator; 01-28-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 11-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Default 2013 accord ex-l

Same sounds coming from my cars steering. Sounds like rubber bands when i turn in either direction. Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow since i just purchased it this month and it is still under factory warranty and certified preowned. We will see...

UPDATE: Thurs Nov 13. The shop called and said they are going to replace a cable that was rubbing and generating the sounds. The part is ordered and the repair should be completed by Friday afternoon or Saturday. At least the shop is trying to alleviate the issue and I hope it fixes the irritating sound.

UPDATE: Dec 29, 2014: The Honda dealer replaced the cable (no charge) however, that did not fix the issue. I guess I'll have to get over it and drive on.

Last edited by Seacatlady; 12-29-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:41 PM

I just gave up on this issue. For this and other reasons, I traded my Accord in for a new 2015 Civic sedan. I'm much happier and it doesn't make this noise!

Good luck to all.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Does it sound like a tapping or groaning sort of noise? Like those exaggerated noises you hear in movies when a rope is about to snap? Like on a bridge?

I always thought that sound was normal and I always thought it came from the strut bearings as you turn the bearings turn too. Even though there's grease I thought that was the metal to metal sound.

I have a Civic and I hear that all the time. Maybe when I replace the struts soon and get new bearings it will go away.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Default 2013 Wheel Bearing Noise

Yes, the same noise "just recently" started on my car - purchased new in 2013. Never heard sound before. Friend of family who use to be a mechanic at Honda dealership said sounds like wheel bearing problem. Makes sound when turning left. Taking to dealership.

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord EX Coupe Power Steering Creaking Noise