General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 Accord Remote Starter

Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Question 2013 Accord Remote Starter

I just purchased a 2013 Accord EXL-V6 & LOVE the car! However, I'm getting conflicting information about the Honda Remote Start option which I had installed. It seems to require that I carry BOTH the remote start fob as well as Driver #1 or #2 fob.

BUT the Honda remote start installation guide says:
"NOTE: The remote is factory set for driver 1 remote
control. To program the driver 2 remote, follow the
“REMOTE CONTROL ENGINE STARTER
TRANSMITTER REGISTRATION” instructions on
ISIS."

It just doesn't make sense that you'd have to carry both fobs ... one for outside the car & the other for inside?

Any help would be MOST appreciated.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, you have to carry 2 remotes; the remote starter and the key fob, if you want to use the remote starter and be able to drive off.

The following verbiage from the installation instructions pertains to Accords with Keyless access systems:

With Keyless Memory Settings
NOTE: The remote is factory set for driver 1 remote
control. To program the driver 2 remote, follow the
“REMOTE CONTROL ENGINE STARTER
TRANSMITTER REGISTRATION” instructions on
ISIS.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, redbull-1.

I must say that it seems like a half-finished product design...

The fobs aren't small & two are pretty clunky to carry around. You can't leave the standard key in the car or the remote won't function properly.

It doesn't make technical/design sense. The remote starter has all other functions that the standard "wave' key has and it's linked to the car ID to start it. Why can't it also allow the start button to work?

Seems as though this really needs to be revisited by Honda engineers.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I bought the remote kit too, and was shocked to see the two large boat anchors you need to carry with you. Remote start on this car should be standard equipment, and built into the key fob. I regret getting it, and would have went aftermarket if I had done more research. I just put my faith in Honda because usually they make stuff so nice and neat. I was also never even offered the chance to buy two remotes, so I was surprised when they handed me one remote.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM

I just had the remote start installed today in a new 2013 EXVL, I wish I would have found this site before buying it. I'll be calling dealer tomorrow to demand a refund. Very poor design and integration by Honda.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 PM

I have it as well and was shocked to see that I needed to carry both remotes. I thought they could just program the remote one to act as both

Old 02-05-2013, 04:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Is this the alarm you had installed at the stealer? This is the factory unit as per Honda 08E91-E54-100 This is the link to alarm Honda online store : 2013 ACCORD REMOTE ENGINE START SYSTEM II

It�s all about comfort and convenience. With the Remote Engine Start System II you can start your car from up to 400 feet away, before going outside in the cold or heat.
  • Integrates with your vehicle�s security and immobilizer systems to ensure protection
  • Activates the Auto Climate Control to 72� regardless of last A/C settings
  • The remote includes an LCD display that indicates vehicle and in-cabin temperature status
  • Comes with pre-wired set-up for your specific model
  • Lock/Unlock Door and Trunk Release
  • Carries 3-year/36,000 mile warranty when installed at time of purchase
Caution: Never start your Honda in an enclosed area as this may cause carbon monoxide build-up. Not available for manual transmission vehicles.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Accord Remote Starter-remote-engine-start-system_mid.jpg   2013 Accord Remote Starter-h-dotline.png   2013 Accord Remote Starter-h-color-options.png   2013 Accord Remote Starter-h-out-installation.png   2013 Accord Remote Starter-h-installation.png  

Attached Images   

Last edited by accordtouring2013; 02-05-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 AM

yes, that's the one

Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Now with this remote start system it will adjust the temp to 72 and do everything it is suppose to do as per the specs above?

Old 02-08-2013, 05:04 AM

It works per specs ONLY FROM OUTSIDE THE CAR.
Therefore you MUST carry two fobs if you want to use remote start at work, while shopping, etc.
For me, the fobs are simply too large to carry both, so I only use the remote at home.

As I said earlier, this is a bad, ill-thought design and should be corrected.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Accord Remote Starter