General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2016 Accord Coupe rear window

Old 08-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Default 2016 Accord Coupe rear window

2016 Accord EX Coupe, CVT.

When I look out rear window through the rear-view mirror, the image appears to have wavy lines in it. Very noticeable, especially when road markings are visible, because it makes things look slightly zig-zag.

Don't think it's the mirror because I don't see the wavy effect if I turn the mirror to look out driver's side window.

The rear glass has a lot more horizontal wires in it and they're closer together than in my previous Accord Coupe so they might contribute to the issue, but it's an annoying effect.

Anybody else notice this on a '16 Coupe, before I take it to the dealer and he tells me I'm crazy.

Last edited by Hero1318; 08-11-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Default Others reporting same problem

Poking around on the web, I found three people on one site and one on another site complaining about the same wavy appearance when looking out the back window through the rear-view mirror on 2016 Accords.

None of them say if they have a '16 coupe like mine or a '16 sedan. So maybe those of you with '16 sedans should check too.

Not pleased to know that one dealer said it can't be fixed...

Guess I need to make an appointment with my dealer.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Coupe rear windows are typically very flat (near horizontal). This means light passes through a lot of glass to get to the rear view mirror. This condition results in high potential for distortion of image.

good luck

Old 08-16-2016, 11:59 AM

This was never an issue with any of my 3 previous Accord coupes. And I don't think this is normal.

Too bad the others reporting the same problem didn't mention if they have a coupe or sedan.

Got service appointment tomorrow so we'll see what the dealer has to say...

Old 08-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Got any other 2016 coupes on the dealer's lot? Sit in them & see what they look like.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:23 PM

Good suggestion.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:56 PM

Went to dealer today. The wavy rear window glass is a manufacturing defect that's reported on '16 coupes and '16 sedans, but this is the first one this dealer has actually seen.

It's more obvious on coupes because of the angle of the glass, as TexaxHonda suggested. It's related to how the glass hardened around the embedded defroster wires. The dealer copied the Pinkington Auto Glass numbers from the window and spoke to Honda.

Honda has replaced wavy rear windows but only on a case-by-case basis. I have to wait until Honda's regional service rep visits this dealer next month so s/he can inspect the window and decide if the glass is within spec or not.

How can it possibly be within spec if the waves make road markings look zig-zag in the rear-view mirror?

And they didn't have another '16 coupe in stock for me to check.

Stay tuned...

Old 09-18-2016, 04:21 PM
Default My 2016 sedan has same distorted rear window defect....

My 2016 sedan has same issue and I saw 5 other sedans at the dealer with the same distortion. I also saw a complaint on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website (other than my own) from someone in Louisiana with the same distortion. The problem is the safety film sandwiched between the glass was stressed during manufacture which is why you see it.

Everyone at the dealer saw the distortion including the district rep, but they refused to deal with it. I did the lemon law process in TX and all the Honda people developed amnesia and refused to acknowledge anything other than "buyer beware" and I lost.

I would recommend anyone with this issue to file a complaint with NHTSA and then maybe Honda will do something. I personally am looking into the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act to see if I have recourse.

In my opinion this is absolutely unacceptable on Honda's part. In my wildest dream I never imagined being ignored for such a glaring defect, but Honda just doesn't seem to care.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:09 PM

Fletcher_101-

Thanks for that info. Sorry to hear Honda refused to fix this window issue for you. The dealer here was supposed to arrange inspection by their district rep. Been a whole month and I'm still waiting... Guess I have to bug them this week.

They were also supposed to replace the broken driver's side sun visor when I brought it in for the rep to examine the window. The visor hasn't been replaced because I haven't been back yet and that's another annoying problem.

I'll post back when I hear what Honda tells me about the window. And if they don't replace the glass, I'll file at the NHTSA too.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:11 PM

Regional service rep examined my '16 Accord Coupe's rear window today but I wasn't allowed to be there while he looked at it, and I wasn't even allowed to meet/talk to him. What's up with that?

When he was done, the dealer's own service manager gave me their talking points that the wavy effect is because of angle of glass, number of and distance between defroster wires, and because I have driver's seat set at its max height.

That said, they think mine is particularly distorted within ~5-6 inches on both side of the vertical defroster wire.

Honda will replace the window, once and only once, and it might get better, stay the same, or possibly even be worse. This is "not a warranty claim. This is just a customer satisfaction action only".

While I was waiting, I sat in 2 new '16 Accord Coupes on the lot. I could see the waves in the rear glass, but they weren't nearly as bad as mine. So there's clearly (no pun intended!) a lot of variability in the glass...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Accord Coupe rear window