General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Air Conditioning Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question 2016 Air Conditioning Question

I'm new to the forum, and I'm also new to my Accord. I apologize if I'm not posting correctly. I did read the "Before you Post" threads, but who knows. Anyhow, I'm in Louisiana and we're in the middle of a really hot, sticky summer. My new Accord with about 1200 miles on it is great generally, but just this week I've noticed that I'll be driving around town and the A/C will stop cooling. The cabin gets clammy with the humidity from outside (it is often 85% relative humidity with real temps in the 90's) and it heats up while blowing tepid air through the vents. So far, it has started cooling again after a few minutes. There is a little bit of a funny smell when the A/C takes its breaks. I am assuming that this isn't normal Honda A/C functioning; I had a Civic Hybrid a few years ago, and I don't remember anything like this happening on that car. I want to compare notes with other Honda owners before I take it in to the dealer. So the question is, "Does this sound normal?" Can most people tell when the thermostat starts backing off the A/C when it gets down to the correct temp? It is doing this set on "LO" also, which I'd think would be calling for the A/C to run constantly. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-10-2016, 12:48 PM

Hello, John.. welcome to the forum

I'm a bit confused by your description of the AC issue. I too have a 2016 Accord and live in the Ohio River valley where it is warm & humid during summer months; I've not experience any problem with the AC, but I do not know what you mean by, "..set on LO". Have you set your AC on Auto?

I keep my Accord's AC set on a particular temperature, for instance @ 64 degrees.. the system never shuts off nor "takes a break".

Old 08-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the response. This website is keeping me from frightening other Accord drivers in traffic. I've been tempted to roll my window down at stoplights and ask about A/C functioning. I'm thinking that I might have the word wrong. I am saying "LO" for whatever the word is that is down past all the numbers when you set the thermostat for as cold as the machine can get. My car is taking breaks when it is set at a specific temperature and when it is down all the way. Is that clearer? I'll have to look at it to see if it is on "Auto" the next time I drive it. I'm in my truck today. Anyhow I'm fully expecting the dealership repair people to tell me that it is "operating within normal limits." These intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose. Thanks again!

Old 08-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

While not Hondas, I have had a couple of cars in the past where the evap unit within the A/C system would ice up on hot humid days. How does your A/C work on a day with say 85°F temperatures and relatively low humidity?

If your answer to the above question is, "Ice cold", then icing might be your issue.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

From your description I would suspect either:

1)AC compressor is running full time and not cycling off when evap temp reaches sligtlly below freezing. Evap freezes completely resulting in no cooling and reduced air flow. Sometimes you will see a fog emitted from the vents as air passes over ice.

2) AC compressor is failing to engage. This can be caused by an intermittent compressor clutch coil, excess air gap on compressor clutch, or faulty AC compressor relay.

Key is to observe whether compressor engagement is occurring or not when cooling becomes poor. If no engagement, then clutch coil or clutch gap. If you have engagement, then freezeup is problem.

good luck

Old 08-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, Shipo, it was working fine before the dog days started; I'd probably have said "ice cold". I have thought briefly about something icing up, but that sort of skittered through my brain. I guess that would be under the dash. The lines under the hood are appropriately cold and hot when I raise the hood with the A/C running. I will have to take it in and hope they are serious about fixing things. Generally, it sounds like something is not right. All this information is helpful. I wasn't sure if this was Accord normal since the owner's manual states that climate control is one of the things that the economy button alters. That button is not on, by the way, but I just don't know about all the electronic controls on new Hondas. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, Texas Honda, I'll have to pull over into a parking lot and look and see if I can see the compressor working next time the A/C takes a powder. I find the more you can tell the service people, the more seriously they take you. I really appreciate all the input on this. I'm still a little in shock that this car is having problems already, but I guess they are made by humans, so it can happen. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Check for a plugged up cabin air filter...

Old 08-13-2016, 11:12 AM
Newest Of Newbies

My initial response was that it couldn't be plugged up after only a couple of months, but you never know. It is worth a look. That could be an easy one to fix if it is the problem. It has been cooler lately, and the A/C has been working fine, so the problem only occurs when it is very very hot, above 95 and the humidity is high. Thanks to everyone for all the replies and suggestions.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:59 AM
Almost A Senior Member

John - if you bring it in please post what your told it is/was...

Quick Reply: 2016 Air Conditioning Question