General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th gen accord heater core problem straight to the scrap yard?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 01:05 AM
Default 5th gen accord heater core problem straight to the scrap yard?

so I'm having the common coolant leaking into under my passenger dash and I'm contemplating fixing the heater core or sending it to get crushed. I've already had this problem with a 95 honda civic cx that I was driving around for months not realizing that antifreeze vapor was coming into my cabin my eyes didnt burn or anything only my windshield would get very foggy and I thought it was very strange but thought it was just from smoking ciggarettes I later found out I was driving around in a toxic enviroment. I'm very surprised how they designed these cars to allow people to breathe antifreeze vapor which is very bad for your health it makes me wonder how many thousands of people are driving around in hondas right now breathing that crap in without even realizing it. I ended up replacing the heater core on the civic myself but never really trusted it so I got rid of it now I'm having the same problem on my accord and I'm wondering what to do. So my question is would replacing the heater core eliminate all health risks or would there still be a film sticking to the ducts and the windshield after. I imagine there would be since the film on my civic was very thick I could probably scrub the windshield and get it off but what about the ducts maybe I'm just paranoid but I'd rather be safe than sorry. so what would you guys do? I'm sure theres millions of people that been in this situation did you guys feel safe after replacing the heater core or did you just send it to get crushed?

Old 11-23-2012, 01:16 AM

There is actually a chance that one of your radiator hoses nearest to the firewall is the issue. I had what I thought was a heater core issue, I even bought the core off someone off ebay and when I went to look at the firewall I saw I had a very tiny leak back there. It was simply venting into the cabin. Just wanted to point that out. Take a look back there to be sure and feel around and gently move the hoses. BTW, it's not exactly easy to pull the dash but it's doable. A heater core is only about $40 off ebay or rockauto.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:08 AM

thanks for that info hopefully thats what it is. My car is a 94 accord wagon that I was planning on fixing up putting a vtec and everything but now with this issue I'm trying to decide to crush or not to crush. I pulled the dash to fix my civic breaking some things but replaced the heater core. I'm wondering if these heater cores need to be replaced because when I pulled mine it just looked dirty a good backflush might of did the job. thanks again for the tip I have my fingers crossed that its just a hose if not I'm going to try backflushing it with clr and go from there