General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th Gen Honda Accord Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Default 5th Gen Honda Accord Help

Hi there,

First of all, I should state that I'm completely new to cars so I know next to nothing about repairs, maintenance and what not. That said, I will soon be a (proud?) owner of a fifth generation Honda Accord ('93 - '97 model) which will be my daily commuter to work.

I plan to take the car to my local mechanic and have him inspect and repair anything as necessary. So I was hoping that you guys could tell me what I should be looking for and any special items that might need attention in ensuring that the car is in good working order. I've read different articles about car maintenance online, but I'm hoping to get more specific pointers for this car.

Any help at all is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome.

The 5th gen was actually 94-97. They are probably one of the most reliable cars ever made. And pretty cheap to maintain. A great purchase as a first car in my opinon.

There are a few things you will want to consider having your mechanic look at/replace. It really all depends on how in depth of maintenance records you have on your car.

Obviously the car is no spring chicken, so here are a few things that I would replace if you have no record of the last time they were replaced:
spark plugs
plug wires
distributor cap & rotor
fuel filter
air filter
oil change
transmission fluid change

Then of course the timing belt. If you have no record of when it was last replaced, I would do it sooner rather than later. It is recommended to be replaced every 7 years or 100k miles(I think, I'm sure someone will correct me). You will want to replace the tensioner, pulley, and water pump at the same time. It can be a little costly to have done, ($4-600 probably). But if this fails while you are driving, your engine is toast.

I hope this helps, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:07 AM

Thanks a lot for the info! With the exception of major repairs, would you say it's a good idea for me to attempt these repairs DIY? I've seen people recommend AutoMD as a good resource for such tutorials. I'm very much a hands-on type person so I figure it's a good way to learn about cars whilst saving a few dollars.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

The tune up stuff isn't that hard and doesn't require any "special" tools - I'd suggest you do not try to change the fuel filter, it is a bit of a PIA.

"Google" can also be your friend, there are videos all over covering all kinds of things. You can also get a shop manual for the car and it will help as well: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...threads-40780/

Old 05-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

I'm with poorman(like usual). The tune up stuff is pretty easy and can be done with just basic tools. The fuel filter can be hard to get to, and a pain to get off.

A timing belt job is usually something a new DIYer won't attempt themselves. Even I usually pay a shop to do it, mainly just cause its a bit of a pain to do.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

One other item I would add is EGR port cleaning. When you actually get the car, we can give you more specifics on what plugs to get, etc...

Old 05-13-2014, 09:16 AM

Excellent! Thanks a lot for all the replies!

I had a question about rotating and balancing the tires. Assuming that the tires are still good when I get the car, should I rotate them immediately? Otherwise, how will I know when it's time to do so?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default New Accord

I might add- check those front axle rubber CV boots- look for cracks. if they split apart (like my right side has) all of the grease spins out and you have to put a new axle in. Not really a huge deal and not real expensive, but something that can be avoided. Your car has 4 CV boots. Dave

Old 05-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

I personally would not stress too much on the tires. If you have enough tools, stands, you could rotate without balance yourself.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
I personally would not stress too much on the tires. If you have enough tools, stands, you could rotate without balance yourself.
Right. I was just thinking that while I'm having other things replaced at the shop, I might as well have them do that.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Honda Accord Help