General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7th gen 6MT issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default 7th gen 6MT issue

Hey...just wonderin if anyone else has noticed this....

My v6 doesnt like to go into third gear from time to time...and the tranny can be extremely notchy. Been that way since i drove it off the lot...A friend of mine leases a civic SI...not sure if the trannies are identical, but he's had the same issue.

So the car was back at the original dealer today...they did the tint on the car and did not do the felt nor clean the track first, so they had to retint the front windows.I told them about the tranny issue while it was there, literally telling them that I wasnt expecting them to find much, but that I just wanted to document it early on in case there was a failure down the road, outside of warranty.

Well, they actually confirmed the issue, and have ordered parts to fix it. Unfortunately, I wasnt able to talk to the tech, and the SA wasnt very savvy (when I asked him twice what they were going to replace, he said 'transmission parts.' haha). When the parts come in, I will find out exactly what they are doing. They did say they would need it for a couple of days.

Any ideas what could cause this? I will report back when I have more info, but I am a bit curious. Not sure I want them pulling apart my car with 1k miles on it, but, i spose it needs to be done. Thanks guys.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:52 AM
Old 10-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Default RE: 7th gen 6MT issue

intersting link...but it really didnt answer my question....thanks though.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:36 PM

It is common on both the Hondas & Acuras I'm sorry to say. One Acura 6 speed owner with the same problems got it cured when the Acura dealer used GM "Syncromesh" fluid(I believe is the name). They had tried everything including a tear down but only GM's stuff worked and was put in under warranty by an Acura dealer. The stuff sure ain't cheap (roughly $18-20 qt.) but it worked.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:46 PM

the link kinda does answer your question smag, its an issue with the third gear syncro

I have a friend who has to use syncromesh in his transmission it wont work properly with anything else

Old 10-14-2007, 04:52 PM

i will disagree...it is similar, but onle once did it mention 3rd gear. the synchomesh may be the ticket, because that is what it feels like...the synchro not working properly. every gear on the transmission is a bit notchy....but 3rd is the only one that doesnt want to go in. i have no issues with 1-2.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:47 PM

dealer is going to replace the 3-4th gear shift fork, at least thats what the SA told me. parts still are not in yet.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:57 PM
d2brsin
Unregistered

smaglikdid you ever get this problem solved? I have a 2007 accord sedan ex-v6 6MT. I also have the same problem with 3rd gear. At times it requires extra effort to get in 3rd.A couple times I have had to shift back into neutral and try again.

I mentioned it to the dealer when I took the car in for its 1st service. Not suprisingly, they said that they couldn't feel anything out of the ordinary. I have thought about switching to GM Syncromesh transmission fluid. But will it void my warranty?

Since I have never performed a transmission flush myselfshould I take it to a GM mechanic who will have Syncromesh in stock?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:36 PM

problem got worse after they worked on it.

easy to replace the fluid. drain it an refill. you can order the gm stuff online.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 PM

I've heard all good things about Amsoil as well ..... I think I'm going to put Royal Purple in my Scion ...... I like the micro-polishing technology!!!! Unless I read about problems with it in my car that's what I'm gonna use.

Quick Reply: 7th gen 6MT issue