General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

87' Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Initial_Devon
Unregistered
Default 87' Accord

So, im getting this old car as my first, and i wanted to know if anyone would be able to give me some suggestions on mods, engines...basically anything i can put in this old beater to make it preform decently.

I work fulltime at a garage, so installing items is no problem, i just have no idea as to what i should do other then the basics like intake and exhaust. Money doesnt seem to be a factor either so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The engine within it, i believe, is the A20A3

Old 09-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Default RE: 87' Accord

well if money isn't a real big concern then I'm sure you could do a full engine swap. If you don't want to do that you might be able to put a turbo on there or something like that....

Old 09-06-2006, 08:22 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

well if money isn't a real big concern then I'm sure you could do a full engine swap. If you don't want to do that you might be able to put a turbo on there or something like that....
or you could do both

Old 09-06-2006, 09:08 PM

Wow, I wish I had your problems, fully accessbile shop and no money worries!
If I were in your shoes, H22 swap (this might take some research becuase I don't think too many people have done it to your model car)
Full rebuild of the engine, rods, pistons, etc.
The good ol turbo of course.
Then do all the suspension... I could go on and on
I'm envious of your situation. Build that car like no other.
I think I'll slip back into my financial depression now.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Initial_Devon
Unregistered

Well yeah..im doing my apprenticeship at a tire place near my place...yet we have all the tools to do anything. And as for my financial stability, well, while i have this four term apprenticeship, im living at my rents for free while working at a decent wage. So yeah..i basically have four years to build up the perfect project car...or two.

I was considering the H swap, but that might be pricy unless i can find a cheap one from a theft recovory or insurance repo, considering i dont know any other ways then by buying them 2nd hand or new, which usually isnt all that fun. Also, which honda engine would be easiest to swap? Considering i will most likely be doing this myself with what knowledge i have and in this case, i was thinking something simple to add on to.

I guess ill leave it with that for now, considering my only real concern was about engines, although i would like to ask one more thing. What is the local opinion here about Pace Setter exhaust systems?

Thats all for now.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:52 AM

Well, if you've got four years and are dedicated to the car, I mean DEDICATED, then do it all. From what little I've read about your year accord the H22 swap is a huge chore and probably more expensive than what you paid for the car. BUT why be like everyother '87 Accord out there? You might have to make some engine mounts, alter the subframe, etc; is it worth it to you? Look on ebay for used H22's, so what if its used rebuild it. There are other engines out there that will swap into your car easier but they won't have power of the H22. How far are willing to go?

Old 09-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Initial_Devon
Unregistered

How far am i willing to go? well, pretty far with all the time and funds i have. Only issue is...i havent seen the underbody of the car yet, considering i've only ever seen it two times, and my friend is getting it from his old neighbors. Im getting it for $600 so im happy with that, plus i dont remember any body damage/rust.

I would love to put a H22 in it if i could find one for a decent price, yet if i could get any other engine which would be easier to install, I might go for that instead. I have alot of time to work this beast up, so putting more then one engine in it wouldnt be something odd for me.

Also, about charging engines. How much could i do to the stock A20 as to boost? Is the block and cylinder construction strong enough to do it stock? If i was to do this, i would definatly replace some parts (head gaskests, ect.), but what else would i have to change internally if it couldnt handle it?

Another question is if there is any cylinder heads from other engines in which i would be able to trade over onto the A20. I'd prefer to possibly swap heads, do some internal work (new piston heads, rings, injectors, ect.), then add on a turbo. Im sure that the end result would have this choice pulling more power, although more expencive, but atleast it could be done in stages, while a engine swap is just one main purchase.

Ill leave it up to the opinions of everyone else as well as my pocket. Heh, thanks for all your help so far guys, im really glad i can get some ideas as to what i should do power wise with my accord.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:14 AM

I'm pretty sure the A20 was constructed with similar stregnth to the F series. Aside from the parts you mentioned (head gasket, etc.) which may or may not need to be replaced depending on the engine's condition, you could probably get by with 6 - 8 psi with no change to the internals. The key is getting the right amount of fuel into the motor. And i believe that motor is carburated, so it won't be as easy as a fuel pump up grade and an FMU.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Initial_Devon
Unregistered

I was considering the fuel delivery as a problem myself too, yet if im lucky enough to get the model in Lxi (if the hatchback came as that?), i may be able to pull through. Otherwise, im sure it wouldnt be hard for me to find the fuel injected head at the local pick-n-pull. If that fails...well, i can always go for the H engine, which now shouldnt be all that difficult. My buddy a couple doors down fom my work told me that he would be able to fabricate me mounts and to work on the subframe for cheap (he owns his own master frame shop).

Argh, i cant wait to start some serious work on this accord. I've always had a thing for asian imports.

Another issue i would like to touch down on about sound moreso then performance, is exhaust. I cannot stand hearing the lot of civics around my area, i mean hell...they have no ***** yet plenty of noise with those high pitched exhaust systems. Not wanting this for my ricer, i was wondering if any of you could suggest a system which has a much lower tone, yet still performing as well.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:57 AM

just a crazy idea: if you have a friend with a full frame shop, why not try to make a mid engine accord.

how awesome would that be? Just an off the wall idea to throw out there.