General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Accord LX - Gas in Oil -Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 87 Accord LX - Gas in Oil -Won't Start

The problem came on all of a sudden, it ran fine then wouldn't start the next morning. I have spark, tried starting fluid, no fire at all. I checked the oil and it smells like gasoline and is diluted and higher than normal level. I'm thinking something broke in the carb and it's pumping excessive fuel into the intake. The fuel level in the sight glass is about centered in the window. Any Ideas?
TIA for the help

Old 10-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Pull the top of the air cleaner, the two nuts that hold the "screen" over the top of the carb "throat". Try to get the car started, look down the throat of the carb, do you see gas dripping into it? Yes, we can go from there.

If not and you are sure it is gas in the oil, change the oil.

Then "pinch" off the fuel line to the carb. Try starting it, what happens?

Most important thing, if there is gas in the oil, do not let the engine run for very long.....damage can/will be done. I have a few ideas, others might as well, but need to narrow a few things down.

Last edited by poorman212; 10-25-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Correct info
Old 10-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Pull the top of the air cleaner, the two nuts that hold the "screen" over the top of the carb "throat". Turn the key to on/position II, look down the throat of the carb, do you see gas dripping into it? Yes, we can go from there.

If not and you are sure it is gas in the oil, change the oil.

Then "pinch" off the fuel line to the carb. Try starting it, what happens?

Most important thing, if there is gas in the oil, do not let the engine run for very long.....damage can/will be done. I have a few ideas, others might as well, but need to narrow a few things down.
Thanks for your quick reply.

No dripping fuel in the throat of the carb with the switch on (I can hear the fuel pump spin up with key on). I can't pinch the fuel line until daylight but that's a good suggestion.

A little more background, the car ran fine the day before and when I tried to start it this morning it didn't fire even once. I cranked just enough to confirm it wasn't flooded then I put my timing light on the coil and then plug wire to check for spark so I didn't crank it that much, seems like a lot of fuel in the crankcase for that amount of cranking (thinking out loud).

Another odd thing, I had extreme difficulty removing the top of the breather, I had to use a large screw driver and took care not to bend anything. The rubber seal was bonded. I've had it off dozens and dozens of times over the years (I'm the original owner) never had that problem, seems like fuel or fumes melted the rubber gasket which makes me think the fuel leakage was while the car sat over night (?)

I'm quite sure there is gas in the oil, it smells strong of gas and it's thin and the oil level in higher than the last time I checked a few days ago. I intend to drain the oil as quickly as possible to avoid damage to the seals.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

First good to know that YOU know the history of the car....I do like the 3rd gens (86-89).
My initial thoughts, based upon what you posted.
1) Stuck fuel pump relay
2) Float needle and seat leaking

Not sure where you live so the next few things are a reach (but it sounds like you have been around the "block with these once before"-knew about the sight glass, ect), is it colder than it has been. Tune up items up to date. Timing light flashed but what does the spark AT the plug look like.

Again, you sound like you have been down this road before.....so don't tke the above the wrong way.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like poorman212 got you going in the right direction. This thread might also provide some insight:

"http://www.hondacarforum.com/honda-2/10067-gas-my-oil-pan-86-honda-accord.html"

Good luck.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

First good to know that YOU know the history of the car....I do like the 3rd gens (86-89).
My initial thoughts, based upon what you posted.
1) Stuck fuel pump relay
2) Float needle and seat leaking

Not sure where you live so the next few things are a reach (but it sounds like you have been around the "block with these once before"-knew about the sight glass, ect), is it colder than it has been. Tune up items up to date. Timing light flashed but what does the spark AT the plug look like.

Again, you sound like you have been down this road before.....so don't tke the above the wrong way.
Any thoughts or suggestions are very much appreciated, thanks for your help.

I live in southern US, temp has been pretty stable. I checked the choke action with a heat gun and infrared thermometer and everything was about 70 degrees and the choke opened when I heated it a little. I'm not familiar with the fuel pump wiring, I would have thought the pump could not be energized with the ingition switch off. I've always worried about the pressure in the fuel tank (woooosh) keeping fuel pressure on the float valve even after shut down especially in hot weather a problem improved by switching to ethanol free gas but there's still a lot of pressure.

I'm leaning towards a leaky float valve...but no dripping, maybe it's more like seeping over a long period... but the level looked ok, that was the first thing I checked. I think I will change the oil, remove the fuel supply and see if I can get it started with starting fluid, that should tell me the non-start is too much fuel, then proceed from there. Not sure I want to do a carb rebuild. It's been a wonderful reliable car for almost 25 years (155,000 miles) but it may be time for retirement.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Looks like poorman212 got you going in the right direction. This thread might also provide some insight:

"http://www.hondacarforum.com/honda-2/10067-gas-my-oil-pan-86-honda-accord.html"

Good luck.
Thanks Redbull
I found that thread earlier in a Google search, there never seemed to be a resolution. A couple of fellows were thinking about the old mechanical fuel pumps dumping fuel in the crankcase a problem I had with a Dodge 318. The oil filter had to be removed in pieces, I hope that doesn't happen with my Accord.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

If it IS the float needle and seat...guess what, I can walk you thru that without removing the carb from the car one of those, been there, done that deals...actually did it in the driveway after work one night...yea it was a late night but got it done.

Again based upon the answers and that you are giving to the questions, would be a walk in the park for you......

There is another "vent valve" on these (it is late and the mind/memory is/never has been that good), never had the fun of dealing with that but hondadude spoke of them often. Search for posts by him, I'll see what I can dig up as well.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If it IS the float needle and seat...guess what, I can walk you thru that without removing the carb from the car one of those, been there, done that deals...actually did it in the driveway after work one night...yea it was a late night but got it done.

Again based upon the answers and that you are giving to the questions, would be a walk in the park for you......

There is another "vent valve" on these (it is late and the mind/memory is/never has been that good), never had the fun of dealing with that but hondadude spoke of them often. Search for posts by him, I'll see what I can dig up as well.
That would be excellent, thanks Poorman.

It will take a few days to do a little more testing and research and get parts. I was staring at the carb earlier wondering if I could just take the top off, that would save a lot of work. I'm not a mechanic but I usually manage to do most repairs myself.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

It will take me a bit to look thru, well my junk of info-really need to get it all together one day but that is not your problem.

Yes you are correct, the top will come off. That is how I did mine. Again I would have to go outside and look at it again to remember how I did it but it would come back to me. The tricky part is once the top is off, moving the float in such a way that you get the "needle" to come out of the seat. Sounds backwards but once there (hope you don't) it would make sense.

Quick Reply: 87 Accord LX - Gas in Oil -Won't Start