General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Accord won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:17 PM
serob1977
Unregistered
Default 87 Accord won't start!

Hello All!
My name is Sean and I am working on a friends 87 Accord, 4 cyl. 2bbl, standard. It died while driving and will not restart. I tried to use the search option here, but says that either not enough "something" or no matches found. So if there is another thread covering some of this, please direct me to it (Might save your time and mine!)

So here is the run down.....

Friend was having some issues with car trying to "vapor lock" (in her words.) so she ran a can of heat....Later that day car died, while driving.
Engine turns, strong......
No visible gas in carb when key is on, and gas pedal pressed.
Replaced both fuel filters inline under hood and on the fuel rail near rear drivers tire.
Still no fuel pressure when remove the line off the outlet on top side filter....
Fuse under dash for fuel pump/alternator is good.

So this is where I am.

I really do not hear the fuel pump kick on when the key is turned.....But also not sure how loud it should be...Is there a test (I thought I heard of using leads to directly connect to the pump)
Is the pump in tank?

I know that it might be electrical, but where to start?

Couple of crappy factors....... I do not have very many tools, no specialty tools, and she is on a very very very limited budget (Aren't we all!!) And I do not have the Chiltons for this car either!!!

I do get free long distance on my cell, so if it would be easier and quicker, I can call whoever has a lot of questions...AND hopefully great and easy answers.

Thank you all in advance for any and all help. I wish I had found this forum about 2 years ago when helping another friend with 80 Accord issues.

Have a great day! "Karma Shines!"

Sean

Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 87 Accord won't start!

No fuel to the carb suggests fuel pump or lack of power to the fuel pump. Check for power to the fuel pump first. Fuel pump is in the fuel tank. Leads somewhere in the trunk area.

If no power to the fuel pump, find the Main Fuel Relay and check it for power in/out.

Manual would be helpful. Try Autozone for some repair info for this model.

If you have power to the fuel pump, no fuel flow, a new fuel pump is indicated. I had this on a 94EX fairly recently. I found that "hammering" the pump w/ rapid repeated on/off/on/off,... keystrokes would eventually kick the pump off and it would run until stopped again.

good luck

Old 10-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Default RE: 87 Accord won't start!

I would say the pump also, ive never changed a Honda fuel pump but have in other cars and its really not hard even if its in the tank. The basic of hand tools is all I needed to do all fuel pumps. Some sockets, screw driver and a hammer to loosen up the lock ring. Some cars have the fuel pump under the rear seat which was even easier. Good luck.