General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 accord wont turn over to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Thumbs down 87 accord wont turn over to start

Hello all, sorry to add to the number of "car wont start" posts.. But a few months ago my accord got stolen and whilst they were out joyriding my car somehow managed to kill it. I had to put a brand new battery in(they stole my other one) and replace some main fuses yet it still wont turn over or even make a "click" noise. All that would happen is when I hook up the battery my highbeams come on(untill I switched them off). I am assuming it could be the starter, starter relay, or ground wire? Maybe a combination of those? Please and thank you for any help it is very appreciated.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:31 PM

Might I add it had problems starting before it was stolen too, there was a night I couldnt get it to start and had to leave it at the store but it started the next morning.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

How did they get the car to start? Did they damage the wiring to the ignition switch?

Tell us what would happen when the car would not start before it was stolen? Did the starter spin the engine when you attempted to start? Or did the starter work, but the engine didn't run on its own?

Old 04-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

ooohhh a 3rd gen

OP-one more question to what PA has already asked....is it an auto or manual trans?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 PM

Im assuming it was a filed-down honda key, because all the exposed wires look fine.. Its an automatic transmission. Before it was stolen and whilst having problems starting, it would turn over and sound like its spinning the engine but just wouldn't catch to start(not sure how to properly describe that). Sometimes it seemed like pumping the gas helped start it, but the few times I couldn't get it to start it didnt help. I know it hasn't had the fuel filter changed for awhile so could this also be a factor?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Is it a carb or FI model.....DX, LX or LXi?

Need to figure out what is missing - Fuel or Spark

Try spraying carb cleaner into the carb or the TB (depends on which you have) and then try starting the car.

Do you have a timing light, if so hook it to the wires and see if it will light up.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:51 PM

I dont think its the fuel by how unresponsive it is when I turn the key over, I dont hear a click or anything I would hear normally. Its an LX, im not positive weather it is a carborated or not. I have looked for a carb before and couldnt find one, tho I am not all that familiar with car parts haha. I do not have a timing light either, all I have is basic tools.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:17 PM

I am going to a buddies house today who has a totaled DX and grabbing the starter out of it and im gonna try to get the solenoid too. Anything else I should grab?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Well I think we are confused about terms.......engine spinning meaning that the starter is turning the engine but it won't run.......starter not spinning the engine over totally different.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 PM

Oh I see, well then when it had problems starting the engine was spinning I guess but couldnt run. The engine does not spin at all now, when I turn the key it is completely dead. There is no spark.

Quick Reply: 87 accord wont turn over to start