General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 Accord trans slipping, but only 100K miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Default 88 Accord trans slipping, but only 100K miles

My 88 Accord DX has only 100K miles on it, but the trans has started to slip a little.

When I'm in Drive (D4) at about 2200rpm, it will sometimes slip up to almost 3000 rpm. When this happens, I can actually rev the engine up and down without power to the wheels changing. Manually going down a gear (D3) will stop the slip and reduce the rpm to a solid number.

Fluid is OK and changed maybe 20K miles ago. But maybe I should have it and the filter changed anyway.

Any chance it's a vacuum leak or adjustment? Or is it rebuilt transmission time (which hardly seems worth it on this car)? Worth trying any additives, like a flush with Seafoam Trans Tune?

Thanks...Lyle

Old 10-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

OK - if you had an independent shop do the last tranny fluid service I'd do a drain and fill with you picking out the Honda compatible fluid yourself. If this is the situation I might even do drain/fill twice.

[Once I had a Subaru whose tranny fluid was serviced by independent shop, assured me it was the right fluid and obviously not. Got tranny overheat warning light about 10K miles later; went to Subaru for tranny fluid service and problem went away.]

Have no experience w/ AT tranny additives...

Old 11-01-2012, 08:06 PM

Please dont try to make a distinction between Dex and Honda fluid as there is virtually little difference. Fill it with Lucas Tranny stop slip and sell the SOB, as there is little you can do

Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Hamster108, where do you find this information? Please share some technical reference on that.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hamster108
Please dont try to make a distinction between Dex and Honda fluid as there is virtually little difference. Fill it with Lucas Tranny stop slip and sell the SOB, as there is little you can do
Unless you can provide some concise technical data supporting both of your above claims, I'm calling "Shenanigans".

Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lyle
Fluid is OK and changed maybe 20K miles ago. But maybe I should have it and the filter changed anyway.
Did you use the exact ATF as specified in your Owner's Manual?

Yes, the filter should have been changed as well.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Hamster108, where do you find this information? Please share some technical reference on that.
I have been working in the auto field for the last 6 years. Everyone Including myself uses ATF out of the gun. ATF z1 is same as Dex 4 with a bit of additives at 5 times the price.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hamster108
I have been working in the auto field for the last 6 years. Everyone Including myself uses ATF out of the gun. ATF z1 is same as Dex 4 with a bit of additives at 5 times the price.
Are you somehow suggesting we should simply take your word for it? Sorry, doesn't work that way.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the original post was about a 1988 Accord; that was before Honda began selling "their own" ATF.

I think Honda developed their own package of friction-modifiers for the harsh shifting in later years. Certainly with the fragile 1998-2002 autos, I think Honda's additive package is very important. But the 1988 probably called for Dex in the first place.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Are you somehow suggesting we should simply take your word for it? Sorry, doesn't work that way.
actually, no I do suggest you buy the 5 dollar a quart tranny fluid, and I in turn will buy my 75/c a quart dex and keep doing what I was doing lol.

Quick Reply: 88 Accord trans slipping, but only 100K miles