General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Default 88 Honda Accord

I own an 88 Accord. It was parked for aboout 8 years and we have now been trying to get it to run. We have replaced the fuel pump mutiple times and is now runing. I can not get the car to start though unless i pour gas into the carb and when I get it started it will run for several minutes and then it will die and I have to do the same thing as before to start it. We have replaced the relay unit which is located above the peadles. My question is is there another relay unit located somewere on the honda or am Iruning into a different problem?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 PM

have checked the fuel filter.

I have a 91' and after it sat for a few years it needed a new filter 'cause it wouldn't start with out starting fluid. Just a quick idea.

You should be able to hear the pump prime when you turn the key on. When the car is running you should always hear the pump.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:27 PM

Yes. All of the filters in the car are brand new, and when you first turn the key on the pump starts and then stops and when you have the car runing the pump is as well. When the car dies how ever I notice that the pump is no longer running, and I am not sure what causes the pump to stop. We have replaced the relay above the pedals, and the folks at napa say that there is two relays in the car, but they did not no were. If that is the case I need to find that realy and replace it, but I am not sure if that is the case because napa has told me this on a different car and it turned out that it only had one.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

did you drain the old gas out and replace with fresh?

Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

carburetor could also be wiped out.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 AM

If you hold the gas will it still stall? Like lets say driving it around the block or something.

The pump will turn off after the car stalls.

Have you cleaned the carb.

Do you have any codes?

Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 PM

We have cleaned the tank out and it has good gas. The carb is good and the engine will run if i am pouring gas into the front and sometimes when i stop the gas pump will maintain the engine. The carb is running out of gas though and something is shutting off the pump. We have replaced the relay above the pedals, and when we were at auto parts they said that there was a second relay but I am not sure if i trust that because they told us that on a different car and they were wrong. I know the wire is good running to the pump so I dont know why the pump stops sending gas to the carb... I do not know how to check if there are any codes and because it is 23 years old i don't know if it would even have any.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

In the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link to online shop manuals. You can get a manual for an 86 accord from the honda tech link. That should be the same as your 88.

What I think you need to do is verify that the pump is losing voltage.

On page 11-76, it shows how to jump the fuel cut off relay. I would try that without disconnecting the fuel line and see if the car keeps running.

The other way would be to back-probe the yellow wire going to the fuel pump. Hook up a volt meter or 12V test light to ground and see if that wire loses power when the engine cuts off.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

These have a sight glass on the side of the carb to view/set the float level. Is there gas in the carb bowl?

I'm sure you know but there are two fuel filters on these cars.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Where is the second fuel filter? I did the one under the hood in front on the drivers side.