General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 Accord 1.7 Lx W/ MT

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Default 89 Accord 1.7 Lx W/ MT

I got this car for free a couple months ago. When driving it home 5th gear went out completely. I had the cruiz control set at 75mph and the Tachometer started to "bob" more and more untill the gear went out and the engine free reved. I continued to drive at 60mph in 4th gear but the tach would bob at times in 4th also. When the Tach bobs it feels like the engine is misfireing or the transmission is slipping. I only feel this surge when the tach is bobing. I have now replaced the transmission with a used one and the problem is still there. The tach bob seems to start when you get over 3000 rpm and is worse the harder you press on the gas peddal. I have also shifted to a high gear at slow speeds and stomped on the gass but the surge does not start until u get to about 3000 rpm. So did I buy another transmission with the same problem as the old one? or is it a missfire? or something completly different?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 AM

I'm confused, this is a manual tranny, correct? If so, I'd be looking at the clutch and shifter linkage. How many miles are we talking?

Old 06-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Well, if the trans was replaced, I hope a new clutch was put in...you're there, why not.

Check for codes in the ECU.....let us know if there are any stored codes.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by draser
I'm confused, this is a manual tranny, correct? If so, I'd be looking at the clutch and shifter linkage. How many miles are we talking?
yes it is a manual the clutch was replaced and it does not slip the car has 210000 mi. and the car shifts perfect.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:56 PM

I have not checked for codes but the check engine light has never come on. the clutch was replaced and the car runs perfect the surge is not like a clutch slipping.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:05 AM

Do you have a hydraulic clutch?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

On an 89 LX, there is not a CEL on the dash.....LXi (FI engines do but the DX and LX do not)....sso please check for codes.

3rd gens have cables for the clutch....

Tach is drive frim the Ign system (I think, means don't take this for sure, the blue wire from the coil). So if the tach is acting up and the engine is also acting up...After checking codes, start testing the ICM an coil...assume it has had the reg tune up stuff...