General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 accord power steering leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Default 89 accord power steering leaks

Just recently did an oil change on my accord and noticed that the power steering fluid container was near the low line after just having filled it up i went to my wiper fluid and noticed it had dropped about 1/4 inch from the full line. Should i be concerned about finding and fixing a leak of that size?

Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely find the leak. It could be a hose which is much easier and cheaper to repair compared to the steering rack.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Was the car running or was this happening when it was off?...and PLEASE only use approved Honda/Acura ps fluid

Old 02-25-2011, 12:20 PM

it was found while the car was not running (and ill be double checking the hoses asap), on a side note im looking to replace a left upper control arm, being that mine is bent and a local mechanic said they no longer make them and thier just not available, i found this hard to believe but since i dont really tinker with suspension i cant say i know if this is true.

i did find http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/198...ccord-lx-4.htm would that be what i would need?

Last edited by Hisankitsune; 02-25-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, check the hoses. Since this happens when/while the car is not running-you're on the right track with the hoses-while running then the rack seals or pump seal would be in the picture as well.

As far as the arm-personally I would NEVER go back to the place that told you that...total BS. I replaced both (right/pass and left/drivers side) upper control arms-ball joints are "made in" just four/five months ago on a new to me 89 LXi...I was able to order mine from CARQUEST. You need to order the bushings as well. Not sure of your "skills" but I can almost walk you thru the procedure from memory..yes, done this a few times on "my fleet" of 3rd gen's.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 PM

Well just refilled the PS container after work so ill check it on my break tomorrow and see if there is a noticeable difference in the PS fluid, i checked over the hoses and there seemed to be a little bit of liquid around one of the seals but not for sure, hopefully this will tell me.

As for fixing the rear left lower control arm i'm really not experienced with doing more advanced maintence. Only decided within the last year to start learning how to restore cars and thought id start with my first one.

The control arm piece i was "told" to replace was part number 8, but seeing as how i was pretty much fooled id like to double check before undertaking this myself.

Attached Thumbnails 89 accord power steering leaks-control-arm-diagram.jpg  
Old 02-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Hang on. The first time it was the upper now you're saying the lower...I assumed by your first question about the arm it was the front upper control arm. The pic is on the rear of the car?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 AM

Yes it is the lower arm, i confirmed this with local car restoration buddy of mine. It is in fact the rear control arm and not the front, i appologize for the confusion.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

No prob, part of it is me as I never clicked the link-just went on the text.

There is a short one just forward of the tire, has the adjustment bolt for suspension adjustments. Then there is the longer one aft of the rear tire. Which one-short/forward or long/aft. If it is the short one-then yes the one in the link is what you need.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:53 PM

No its not the short one, most definately the longer one...about how much time should i set aside to undertake this fix because it feels like it might be a 48hr fix with my "skills"

Quick Reply: 89 accord power steering leaks