General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

89 honda accord lxi won't start after driving

Old 01-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Toddler00
Unregistered
Default 89 honda accord lxi won't start after driving

can anyone help me.... My 89 accord runs and drives great until you turn it off then it takes anywhere from 1 to2 hours to start back up, I have replace many parts and have no where els to turn thanks
Todd

Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Default RE: 89 honda accord lxi won't start after driving

The LXI is fuel injected.... what have you replaced thus far? When it won't start does it make any noise or do anything at all?

Old 01-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Toddler00
Unregistered

I have replaced fuel pressure regulatior, distributer, fuel injectior seats (cleaned and fixed with kit) fuel pump, main relay, idle air control valve, plugs and wires, air cleaner, coil, water pump, ratiator, altanatior, and some more things i cant think of ill have to look, Yes it turns over and its getting gas and spark, when it first started doing this it was a 10 min thing and worked its way to 1/2 hour and so on

Old 01-04-2007, 06:40 PM

It gets gas and spark just fine and still won't start? The main relay was my first thought but I see that you've changed that, when it doesn't start you sure that it has adequate fuel pressure and spark?

Old 01-04-2007, 06:48 PM

I was just recalling there were a couple of people that had problems with their 88 accords stalling after a period of time and taking a few minutes before they would restart and it turned out to be excessive rust in the gas tank which also caused pressure problems, you might have the same thing going on.... I'm not sure how to test for it beyond a fuel tank pressure test

Old 01-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Toddler00
Unregistered

sometimes it tries to start and its realy ruff and rich smelling , I have also replaced the 2 oxygen sensors in the front of the exhaust manifold, I can't get a good reading from the ecu because i had to hard wire the cooling fans to a swich

Old 01-04-2007, 07:10 PM

The rich smell could be a clogged injector (but it looks like you've already rebuilt those *L*) so my best educated guess would be a fuel tank problem...

Old 01-04-2007, 07:41 PM

yeah all jap. cars have a problem with the little rubber hose that is used to connect the fuel pump to the runner line.. usally metal line.. its about an inch or two the most.[this is inside the tank]. those hoses always get dammaged and make your car not wanna start.. or makes your car turn off when your stoping or turning with the tank at half.. or less.. its just that the rubber being submerged in gas only last so long.. yeah.. just change that little hose with the most expensive hose you can buy at your parts store.. i used soem goodyear hose.. which was lke 10 bucks a foot. its pretty good use d it to change all my rubber fuel lines when i changed my fuel filter.. and fuel presure reg. .. due to that problem of turning off not turning on.. now i will change my little hose on the fuel pump.. lol.. learned the hard way.. should of started at the damm fuel pump.. didnt becuase i had some lamm mechanic.. change my fuel pump a while back.. like two years ago.. fer didnt change that little rubber hose while he was down there.. he said it was good.. but proven not to be now.. .. ohh well. i lov workin on my car.. remcomend u do it your self..

ps
lol... is your tank full.. if not this is probably your problem.. fill your tank and the car should start..

lov my honda luv to drop burners

Old 01-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

A couple of things i need you to try
# 1 chk engine lite on ? any codes stored ?
# 2 pull out the oil dipstick and smell the oil, if it smells like there is fuel in it, replace oil and filter
# 3 when trying to start the car, hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor( do not pump it ) and see if car starts

you say you get fuel,, but you should hook up a fuel gauge and chk fuel pressure, lxi if pressure is too low car won't start

might have a bad TW sensor

Old 01-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Toddler00
Unregistered

I just read the post about the guy having the same problems and it turned out to be the head gasket, and I am having or was having cooling problem it would be worth checking out ill run a few test and get back to you all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 honda accord lxi won't start after driving