General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Question 90 accord

First off it is a 90 honda accord 4 door auto 2.2 engine. when i got the car i was tolld all it need was a heater blower and a powersteering belt.
first thing i did was put a belt on it, that is when the problems started. my temp gauge flew up past the H really quick and then My throttle cable broke. the cable from the gas pedal. I dont know what to do, I have worked on many cars and truck and there has never been a problem i couldnt fix until now. can someone plz help me out. I was just out at the car and i noticed the throttle cable gets extremmly hot as soon as u start the car up.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Not sure what one problem has to do with the other.... Your thermostat may be bad causing the high temp issue, if it is stuck closed it will not let coolant flow. You can take it out temporarily and run it that way and test it. Do you have heat when you crank up the heater? Are you in a cold climate? Check what the antifreeze is rated at while you're at it...

Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, sounds like two different issues.

For the overheating-can you confirm the coolant is full. Is the t start stuck closed? Is there a big difference in the temp of the upper and lower rad hose...I'd like to figure this one out first

EDIT: I'm slow at typing, sorry -colorado_accord..

Last edited by poorman212; 02-27-2011 at 06:58 AM. Reason: slow-watching tv and trying to type?
Old 02-26-2011, 03:12 PM

the engine is not hot when the temp gauge goes up and the coolant is full. I think it is a electricial problem. Like i said there was nothing wrong with is at all until I put the power seating belt on it. i cant even drive the car now until i fix the throttle cable. but i dont want to fix that until i find out was the cable is so hot.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 PM

could a pos wire be grounding out on the throttle cable.....

Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

I'm still a bit confused. Yes you can't drive wothout a throttle cable but you also can't drive it it is overheating...so I'm with figuring that out first. Key on-engine not running-does the temp gauge go up on its own. Can you confirm coolant flow thru the rad as it warms up (stat stuck closed). Colorado suggested pulling it out and running the car as another way of verifing.

As far as the other issue-check all of the connections on the battery cables (both ends).