General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 Accord EX Compressor not staying on and Flashing Codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:24 AM
rbr
Default 90 Accord EX Compressor not staying on and Flashing Codes

Just today I noticed that my Accord's A/C stopped being cold. When I checked under the hood, I noticed that the compressor was not working. I had someone turn the A/C button on and then off. The compressor worked for about 5 seconds and shut off again. I tried just hot wiring the compressor, bypassing the relay, and that worked. A/C was working fine hot wired. Then, I tried to switch the relay with another one, and had the same problem as before. I checked under the passenger side dash and saw the engine was flashing some codes. I have problems understanding them. It looks like 43 and 18, but I couldn't even find code 18 anywhere.

Here is a video of the flashing codes, turn down the volume before you watch because the air was on when I filmed it.

YouTube - 1990 Honda accord flashing codes

Details about the car:
1990 Honda Accord Ex Sedan
Engine Type: 2.2L L4 SOHC 16V
Transmission: Automatic

Old 04-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You have codes 43, 1, and 8.

Suggest resetting ECU (pull backup 7.5A fuse ) for 20 secs and see what returns. It could be a damaged or failed O2 sensor. You may have an distributor TDC sensor fault (8).

Any work done on AC (over 20 yrs old!)? Usually when they run 5 secs and cut off, the pressure switch is disabling for too high or too low pressures. Since it cooled when jumped, too high seems more likely. You need to get a set of gauges and find out which is the case. Too high could mean lack of cooling (fans inop at idle or low speeds) or lots of debris in the condensor, or possible overcharge.

good luck

Old 04-02-2011, 02:01 PM
rbr

I pulled the fuse, and reset the codes. I am no longer getting any codes popping up. But the compressor was still not turning on.

Then went to get the refrigerant checked to see if it was too high or too low, and it was a little low and the valves were leaking a little bit. So I got the 2 valves changed and added some refrigerant. But the compressor is still not turning on. It does feel a little cooler now when I jump it though.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

When you turn on the a/c, do both radiator fans turn on?

I think that you are going to have to do some electrical troubleshooting. Unplug the compressor and see if you have 12V to ground when you turn on the a/c.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:30 AM
rbr

The check engine light came on today, and looks like it is flashing code 1. I guess I am going to have to replace the O2 sensor.

Yeah, both of the cooling fans are running fine. I will spend tomorrow trying to troubleshoot the AC sensors. Can someone send me a link to the repair manual troubleshooting procedure if you know it.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2011, 08:45 AM

Check links in Online Manuals post in DIY Forum for downloads. I believe there is a 91 Accord manual which should be fine. Also Autozone has some information online which may be helpful.

My experience w/ these older Accords is the mechanical connections on the AC system, but those on evaporator in particular, begin to leak slowly. Also the compressor shaft seal may leak (oily ring around clutch plane). Only way to fix is to discharge, replace all orings, shaft seal (or replacement compressor), clean evaporator, and recharge system. It sounds like a lot of work, but on Accords it's not too bad. You will be rewarded w/ a fully functional AC system. R12 is still available, a bit pricy, but not ridiculous IMO. You need about 32-34 oz of R12, 3 small cans will do nicely.

good luck

Old 04-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Default A/C

you could also have a bad pressure switch mounted on top of the reciver/dryer. Is that what you jumped?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:26 PM
rbr

I disconnected the connector from the ac clutch relay and just bridge the connection on the connector, bypassing the ac clutch relay.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:24 PM

Your jumper arrangment indicates the AC compressor clutch relay is failing to close on command. A new relay is necessary.

good luck

Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 AM
rbr

I tried using another relay, and it was not working. I thought by bypassing the relay, I was not only bypassing the relay, I was bypassing almost a lot of the sensors and the ECU.

Quick Reply: 90 Accord EX Compressor not staying on and Flashing Codes