General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 Accord EX Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Post 90 Accord EX Starting Problems

I am having some start up issues, here is what it is doing. I turn the key and it turns over and over and won't start, I wait, try again, and after doing this for maybe 7-10 minutes, it will finally start. I changed the distributor about 4-6 months ago, but haven't had any problems til now. Lately it has been not starting when it is warmed up, when it is cold I don't have the problem as much. Once I get it started, I also get a flashing S transmission code. Is there any reason it won't start because of the transmission? Should I try changing the distributor again? Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Determine if the problem is due to lack of spark or lack of fuel. Listen for the fuel pump to prime during the clicks when you first turn the key to the II position.

If you have a timing light, see if any spark is generated when trying to start the car when it won't fire up. You can also pull a spark plug and ground it to the engine block. The tegger site is posted in one of the stickies that shows how to do this.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Default Update

I have diagnosed it to the distributor, I went to 2 of the local salvage yards to try and find a used one with no luck. Is there anything I can do to the old distributor, clean it up/overhaul, or is it just not worth it? They want $189 at the lowest for a new one at the parts stores. Anyway, thanks.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:57 PM

you can always try changing the ignition module chip thats inside the dist. and make sure everything else is working. and trust me $189 for a brand new one is not that bad. but look on ebay. there is more than likely some new and used ones on there for lower prices if you take the time to look.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

How did you determine it was the distributor?

Were there any error codes stored on the ECU?

There is a DIY writeup on how to diagnose a bad ignitor vs a bad coil.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:23 PM

I used a spark tester, unplug #1 spark plug wire, then plug that wire into the tester that shows if you are getting spark. I did go ahead and get a reman. distributor and got it installed and it wouldn't start the first time I tried it, then out of the blue it started. I'm still getting a flashing "S" code which I read, blinks 3-4-7-8 pause red light stays on for a second then it repeats. My roommate said that there is another part inside the dash that can have problems also, he said it would sometimes not start when the sun beat down on the dash, but then start when the sun went down. Thanks for all your help guys!!!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Courtazchick
Unregistered

I have a 90 Accord Ex also and mine was doing the exact same thing 2 weeks ago.. Although the blinking S light (Transmission according to my ownders manual) will blink at random times and has been doing it for over a year.. My car wasn't starting a couple weeks ago either, it actually died while driving 3 times, I was leaving the post office one day and it wouldn't start and we worked on it for 2 hours.. I finally had to get it towed and it ended up being an electrical problem in the ignition switch. Thank god nothing serious!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

If it is the S light that is flashing, then the codes are:

3: Throttle position sensor (check engine light should flash a code 7 too)
4: Vehicle Speed Sensor aka VSS

7&8 Problem with the shift solenoid A and B.

For all of these problems you should check the wiring as described in the shop manual, before replacing each sensor. You can download a 94 from the spoon honda link I put in the online manuals thread in the DIY section.

Is the check engine light flashing any codes?

Old 11-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

it almost sounds like the typical main relay issue,,,,,,,,,,,
are u getting fuel when car does not start??

Old 11-12-2009, 03:49 AM

Man, you guys are great, you hit the nail on the head with this one! My roommate is a mechanic and he was the original owner of this car, he finally got a chance to look at the car yesterday, he said he has had problems before with the PGM-FI ECU Main Relay(Located under the driver side dash). So, the first thing he did was check to see if the car was making a spark-no, next was fuel pressure-no, then that is when the light went off in his head. He checked the PGM-FI ECU Main Relay to make sure there were no cracked solder points or loose wires-not visible. I then found a service manual for a 91 Honda Accord in PDF form- They had a test for the Main Relay in the Manual. I hope I can post this link, it helped out a lot! You have to sign up to get the manual, but it is worth it. I will be visiting my local salvage yard to find a few of these Main Relays so I don't have to worry about this again. Thanks for your help guys. I'm posting a new problem that I would like to get straightened out. Please post any help, Thanks again everyone that helped out!!!!

Last edited by deserthonda; 11-12-2009 at 05:06 AM.

Quick Reply: 90 Accord EX Starting Problems