General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 accord wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 90 accord wont start

greetings. I am new member. Have an 90 accord that quite running. Now it won't start. turns over fine. I replaced fuel pump, main relay, temp sender, distributor, and plugs. Has plenty of fuel (check when I replaced fuel filter) Has spark and I checked fuel at injectors ok. Anyone have suggestions? One thing else I have replaced ecu. HELP! Thanks. I also took compresion check. 135 psi all four cylinders

Last edited by dwagoner; 08-13-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

How did you verify that you have spark? Do you have a timing light?

Have you checked for engine codes? See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a link on checking engine codes.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
How did you verify that you have spark? Do you have a timing light?

Have you checked for engine codes? See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a link on checking engine codes.
With tming light and also pulled plug wire , put screwdriver in wire held it away from valve cover bolt, cranked engine spark jumped about 1/4 inch. Yes I have . No codes. Thanks Started looking at wiring harness today.

Last edited by dwagoner; 08-14-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 AM

how bout fuel pressure regulator did you check that?
check the injector resistor you need a ohmmeter to check it
I am puzzled i mean you have it on time you have fuel delivery?you have spark and you said it cranks fine i dont know what else it could be but ill do more research to find the solution to this

Old 08-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by my1st.honda93
how bout fuel pressure regulator did you check that?
check the injector resistor you need a ohmmeter to check it
I am puzzled i mean you have it on time you have fuel delivery?you have spark and you said it cranks fine i dont know what else it could be but ill do more research to find the solution to this
Yes, did that. I checked injectors with ohmmeter. I have the low resistance ones they where within specs. thanks this ones driving me nuts! One other thing, the car died while i was driving it. If that helps.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 AM

well if the car died while driving and has not started since then even after all the work you done to it my guess would be timing belt?
Now i know you said you put a timing lite to it but a wise man once told me when in doubt trust in your knowledge?iv never liked timing lites and never used them,so if i were you i would do it the only way iv ever done it?
#1 piston TDC compression stroke,rotor pointing at #1 plug,timing marks on fly wheel line up,the arrow or the word up pointing up on the cam gear,???
the best way to do this is to turn the crank shaft bolt counterclockwise im not telling you to do it but it would ease my mind and if i were there id do it for you i got good at it!lol

Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by my1st.honda93
well if the car died while driving and has not started since then even after all the work you done to it my guess would be timing belt?
Now i know you said you put a timing lite to it but a wise man once told me when in doubt trust in your knowledge?iv never liked timing lites and never used them,so if i were you i would do it the only way iv ever done it?
#1 piston TDC compression stroke,rotor pointing at #1 plug,timing marks on fly wheel line up,the arrow or the word up pointing up on the cam gear,???
the best way to do this is to turn the crank shaft bolt counterclockwise im not telling you to do it but it would ease my mind and if i were there id do it for you i got good at it!lol
Dont think its the timing belt took valve cover off checked timing. belt and water pump was replaced in july 2012 along with the exhaust.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:00 AM

try checking for fuel at the injectors. take one out and see if it sprays

Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Kinda tough to "take one out". They are held in place by the fuel rail, and unbolting the rail allows the fuel pressure to push the injector right out of the rail.

You'll want to make some kind of bracket to hold the 4 injectors solidly into the fuel rail, otherwise don't pressurize the rail. Also, disturbing the seals on the injectors means they probably will leak when you put it all back together. Plan on getting all new O-rings.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A crude fuel pressure check is to crack the banjo bolt on the fuel rail after turning keyswitch to On fo 5 secs and then OFF. Your 90 Accord may also have a bleeder bolt on the fuel rail. If you get a good spray of fuel, the fuel pressure is likely OK. If nothing, something in the fuel delivery system is faulty; main fuel relay, wiring, fuel pump.

Fuel, spark, compression, and timing are necessary. You are saying you have all of these and no-start. You've overlooked something, likely in fuel delivery.

You should also check that spark timing is OK by pointing timing light at the timing marks (on flywheel I think in the 90 Accord) to see if #1 wire spark is occuring about 15 BTDC.

Spark plug wires installed incorrectly can cause no-start.

good luck

Quick Reply: 90 accord wont start