General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

90 A/T Transmission Problem

Old 12-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Krashnpa
Unregistered
Default 90 A/T Transmission Problem

Having a problem with a 90 Auto tranny - Doesn't up or down shift right, "S" indicator remains illuminated. Any ideas? Read the post about the TCU, but want to eliminate possiblity of other problems first. I want to get the DTC, but does anyone know where I can find the codes and descriptions of each? Anyone have this info posted on the web?

Fluid level is right, checked electrical connections.
TIA, Krash

Old 12-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 90 A/T Transmission Problem

you need to get the code and post it here that would help us with the diagnostic..

to get the code.....rt side dash under glove box or sometimes hiddenin the kick panel ther is a blue 2 wires plug sometimes it is wrapped with blue tape.........jump those 2 wires with a paper clip , turn the key on and read the blinks that apear in the instrument cluster ,,, ther might be a series of long and short blinks,,,,,,,,,,,,long blink= 10 short = 1 ,,, so 2 long 7 short = 17 etc etc ..........

Old 01-04-2006, 01:24 PM
aofemi
Unregistered

Hello, i have a 1991 honda accord EXR, Auto trans. i noticed that the S light on the dash board keeps blinking. i was told to check the TCU, which i did. it blinked 8 times.i checked for the code and it read solenoid B faulty. maybe this is what causes my car not to take off from rest.its as if it not entering gear 1.
Where is sonlenoid valve B located? and what can i do?
Thanks.
Femi

Old 01-05-2006, 12:41 AM

shift solenoid is located on frt of tranny, there are 2 sets of solenoids the shift one , is the lower 1 ,, make sure that the wiring going to it are all ok,
try this, remove solenoid 10mm bolts , there is a metal filter , clean filter , sometimes they get clogged, blow carb cleaner in the passage and if possible blow some compressed air in the passage, put all together, reset ecu and test drive..

Old 01-05-2006, 03:52 AM
aofemi
Unregistered

Thanks Deserthonda. i will try it out and get back to you.
peace
Femi

Old 01-07-2006, 03:57 AM
pepecrower
Unregistered

deserthonda same problem here so this means that the solenoid B needs to be replaced?? and do what you just stated above? I just posted a new thread about this. Thanks Pepe

Old 01-07-2006, 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: pepecrower

deserthonda same problem here so this means that the solenoid B needs to be replaced?? and do what you just stated above? I just posted a new thread about this. Thanks Pepe

do not replace solenoid ,,,,,, clean the screen, blown into the passages , make sure all connections are ok, you got clean and enough tranny fluid, put all together and test drive

Old 01-08-2006, 12:37 AM
pepecrower
Unregistered

Hi I dont mean to interrupt this thread but may be helpful for others, deserthonda I did what you stated today removed the lower selonoids and suspected the screens pretty clean, But I did clean them anyways also change transmission fluid, added new transmission fluid. I took the car for a spin and same thing starts to blink within a few seconds. What can i check now? Should I feel the difference when I press the button Normal or Sport ? Just to be sure I notice speedometer is not working properly sometimes it works and sometime not I dont think tis has nothing to do with this issue does it?? Thanks Pepe

Old 01-10-2006, 01:21 PM
pepecrower
Unregistered

Here We go again I think I am getting to the point where i found the problem, After doing little research about how Honda ECU works I found that the VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor is a very important sensor related to the ECU. In this car the Speed Sensor is called Power Steering Speed Sensor. Since this speedometer is not Mechanical [Cable Type] that routes into the distributor it has an electric magnetic type of sensor to determine the speed of the sensor attached somehere on the tranny behind where the fuel filter is located at. For 5 Speed transmission they are located under the water neck housing hidden. Since the MIL was on and off and on and the S for [SPORT] flashing and Speedometer was not working most of times,I pull the codes see what the computer is detecting, I found the ECU flashing code:17 VSS at fault. According to the Honda shop manual states that if the VSS is at fault some other component may also fail to function and may have irratic driveabilty problems,transmission sometime may not shift correctly and possible cruise control problems as other problems as well. The ECU need to determine the speed of the car to send signals to other actuators. Will let you know what happens after replacing the VSS. Hope this in formation helps other with this sort of problems.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:41 AM

most definately if you vss is out it will affect the shifting of your tranny.

lightshow

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 90 A/T Transmission Problem