General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 accord 2.2l sohc f22a at sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Default 91 accord 2.2l sohc f22a at sedan

YO! WHATS UP IM NEW TO THIS FORUM BUT IVE GOT A PROJECT ON MY HANDS SO I FIGURED THAT I WOULD LET YALL KNOW WHAT IVE GOT IN ORDER TO MAKE THINGS GO EASIER. IVE GOT A 91' ACCORD 2.2 SOHC F22A AND IM DEFINATLY ENJOYING THE FACT THAT IVE GOT A CAR. I BOUGHT IT FOR $200 SO I FEEL LIKE I GOT A DEAL. WHEN I FIRST GOT IT I FIGURED THAT I WOULD DO SOME DEEP CLEANING TO GET ALL THE OLD OWNERS FILTH AND SMELL OUT OF IT. SO I TOOK OUT ALL THE INTERIOR PLASTIC STUFF, CARPET, RADIO, SEATS, ROOF DOORS I MEAN EVERYTHING. I WANTED THIS THING TO BE CLEAN, PLUS THERE WERE SOME MYSTERIOUS ITEMS THAT WERE BAKED ONTO MY CARPET. MAN DID IT LOOK DISGUSTING.GAG! BUT NOW THAT IVE GOT ALL MY INTERIOR CLEAN I MOVED ON TO THE ENGINE. THATS THE NEXT THING TO BE CLEANED I FIGURED.

I TOOK OFF MY STARTER BKUZ IT DIDNT SEEM LIKE IT WAS DISENGAGING AFTER MY CAR WAS RUNNING. WELL AFTER I PUT IT BACK ON IT STARTED WITH A JUMP, BUT DIED WITHIN A MINUTE OR SO... THEN IT STARTED AGAIN AND SHORTLY DIED AGAIN AND SO ON AND SO FORTH. THEN IT FINALLY QUIT STARTING ALL TOGETHER. THE LIGHTS AND STUFF INSIDE THE CAR TURN ON AND MY DOOR BELL DINGS, SO I KNOW THAT THERE IS SOME SORT OF ELECTRICITY PRESENT. I HAVE CHANGED A FEW OTHER PARTS AS NEEDED BUT SO FAR WHAT I HAVE DONE IS GENERAL MAINTENANCE FROM WHAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD LACKED. NOW IVE GOT BIGGER PROBLEMS UNDER THE HOOD. MY OIL PAN IS LEAKING, FROM WHERE I DONT KNOW. MY CAR STILLL DOESNT START SO I FIGURED IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH EITHER FUEL OR SPARK. SO I THEN CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER, SPARK PLUG WIRES, DISTRIBUTOR CAP, PUT IN E3 SPARK PLUGS, OIL CHANGE (WHICH HAS ALL LEAKED OUT BY NOW), THE SERPENTINE BELT, POWER STEERING BELT, AND I TRIED TO SAVE MY FUEL INJECTORS BY APPLYING FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER. I HAVE BOUGHT NEW BRAKES BUT DIDNT FIND THE NEED TO INSTALLL THEM AS OF NOW CONSIDERING THAT THE CAR DOESNT RUN. I HAVE PUT IN A SMALL AMOUNT OF WORK YET IT SEEMS LIKE ITS BEEN ALOT.

MY NEXT STEP AFTER GETTING THIS BABY STARTED IS I WANT TO UPGRADE THE MUZIK SYSTEM. SOMTHING WITH SOME BANG AND BUMP. YEAH YEAH I KNOW ITS A CAR THATS ALMOST 20 YEARS OLD AND NOTHING TO BRAG ABOUT. BUT TO BE HONEST I HAVE TAKEN PRIDE IN MY RIDE FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT I HAVE LEARNED ALOT FROM IT SO FAR. THIS IS MY FIRST REBUILD OR HANDS ON PROJECT AS A MECHANIC, YES ITS FRUSTRATING BUT THATS WHY I JOINED THIS FORUM. SO YOU ALL CAN LET ME KNOW OF ANY IDEAS, OR UPGRADES THAT I COULD/SHOULD PUT ON AND ANY HELP ON WHATS WRONG WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Talking Hello New Member Forty

I moved you to this forum because you posted in the New Member forum and this one is better to get some answers

Im thinking that you need to check the following things on your Honda.

Check for loose or faulty electrical connections @ the distributor, coil, and the alternator....Also take your battery and alternator out of the car and take them to an AutoZone for a Free checkup

You could have a Vacume Leak @ the gasket that's between the Intake Manifold and The Throttle Body.

And maybe you are not getting fuel reaching the Fuel Injectors.

There are a few things that you can check..hope this helps you out..

Oh , By The Way...Welcome To The HAF

Attached Thumbnails 91 accord 2.2l sohc f22a at sedan-christmas-deer-clock-s.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Default Alternator, vaccum, fuel?

Hey man i really appreciate that info. Whenever i get home i will defiantly check in on those things. Although im pretty positive that the alternator is somewhat good, since it started the first time and ran for a bit after we took off the jumpers. But i had to turn off the car for it was overheating but after that whenever i tried to start it, it died after a few minutes of being on, try 2 it died after 1 minute,try 3 it died immediatly after a few tries afterwards never cranked again. I thought that maybe i had flooded the engine so i waited for an hour or so and tried again, still nothing. A vaccum leak could result in the problem but i was also wondering if the main relay could be bad in turn im not getting suffecient fuel. Man you could say im lost. I will most definatly try those things tonight and give you the results tomorrow to see what you think.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Is the starter tuning the engine?

If the starter is working, then you need to verify that you get spark and fuel. Spark is easier. If you have a timing light, hook it up to each wire. See if you generate enough spark to flash the timing light.

As for the overheating, you should open the radiator cap and top off the coolant if it is low. Keep a close eye on it. If you loose coolant quickly, then there is likely a leak somewhere.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would suggest a compression test especially considering it overheats.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:40 AM

Yes the starter is turning the engine. It turns over but just doesnt turn on. Im getting fuel, i have decided thatby spraying either into the intake and it still didnt turn on... My alternator is good and my brand new battery is now completly dead...

I checked the vaccum lines and they are all installed correctly and the sensors are all connected.

While i was fiddling around and notcing things, i saw that there was small drops of what looked like an irredesient color...i have a radiator leak, a decient sized one too. But its on the top of the radiator coming from the top hose... It isnt the hose itself but it is actually the radiator underneath where the hose connects to the radiator. I think i will have to replace it, dont think it is fixable the hole is the size of a dime and the crack stretches about an inch long... Great another setback.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:26 PM

I also recall that whenever it did stay on for a minute there was a terrible vibration in the whole car... Does that mean i should replace my motor mounts?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

when car does not start,,since it is not a fuel issue,, chk for spark , if lack of it, could be a bad igniter and or coil.........there are write ups in the DIY section to diagnose the issue

Old 02-04-2010, 11:34 AM

so i finally had taken my main relay off to get it checked... and the volt-o-meter read positive. os if that works then it has to be the fuel pump im assuming> is that a possibility? someone told me to check my fuel lines to se if they are creased\eend. so is it possible that ithey can get clogged? imy bsttery is dead right now do i cant listen to see if the fuel pump is even winding... could it be a possibility that it is faulty battery? im not thinking that it is bkuz when i try to jump it, the car just turns overk never starts... any ohter suggestions? vaccum lines maybe or the timing is keeping it from starring considering have relaced the distributor sparkplus, spark plug wires of what. i i put the jumpers on the car the inside lights come on as well as the check engine light, could i have a bad ecu or waht

Old 02-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

I've never in my life seen diagnostics by way of a poll. ROFLMAO Good luck

Quick Reply: 91 accord 2.2l sohc f22a at sedan