General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord ac blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Hondabeater
Unregistered
Default 91 Accord ac blowing fuses

I have had this car for about 6 months . A couple of days ago the the AC went out. I notice the clutch not engaging so I checked the fuse. It was blown so I replaced it. But moments later it blew again.

Does anyone know what might cause this. When the AC is on it blows like ice just to let you know. Could my compressor be going bad and it is causing the fuses to blow?

Any help would be appreciated so I dont go spend 300 on a compressor just to have the fuse blow again.

If I do need a new compressor is there a reputable place online I can buy a new not used AC compressor with clutch for a resonable price?

Old 06-14-2006, 01:10 AM
Default RE: 91 Accord ac blowing fuses

Just to make sure, when the fuse blows the compressor clutch shuts off right? There is a short somewhere in the compressor clutch circuit. The compressor clutch circuit is kinda complicated, there are 3 pages. If you have electrical diagnosis skills i can send you the schematics and you can try and figure out where the short is. I'll try and take a look at the schematic and see if i can find out where the short might be. Which fuse is blowing? On the cover for the fuse box there might be numbers, if you could give me the number it would help narrow down which circuit the short is in. The amp load (like 7A, 8A, 9A, 10A, etc) could also help narrow it down if you can't get the fuse number.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea no your compressor is probably fine, you shouldnt mess with it at all. it is just something electrical that needs to get worked out.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Hondabeater

I have had this car for about 6 months . A couple of days ago the the AC went out. I notice the clutch not engaging so I checked the fuse. It was blown so I replaced it. But moments later it blew again.

Does anyone know what might cause this. When the AC is on it blows like ice just to let you know. Could my compressor be going bad and it is causing the fuses to blow?

Any help would be appreciated so I dont go spend 300 on a compressor just to have the fuse blow again.

If I do need a new compressor is there a reputable place online I can buy a new not used AC compressor with clutch for a resonable price?

couple of things here .. first of all which fuse is it blowing ????

second of all ,AGENT my man, lets not jump the gun and condemn anything yet till we diagnose it.. could be something as simple as a pinched wire ,,

Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Hondabeater
Unregistered

Desert,

The fuse located on the driver side kick panel is the one blowing, it is number 12 and is rated at 7.5 amps. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this pinched wire if that is the problem.

One mechanic mentioned that when the compressor is going bad or leaking oil it will cause the fuse to blow. Any truth to this?

Thanks for the help. I live in south Texas so no AC is a killer.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:24 PM

if the mechanic told you that it blows the fuse because the compressor is leaking oil

GET AWAY FORM THAT SHOP ......

Old 06-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Hondabeater
Unregistered

So Desert what should I do to trouble shoot the short?

Old 06-14-2006, 01:13 PM

From the schematics i've been looking at, fuse 12 is not in any of the A/C circuits. Fuse 7 (7.5A) is for the compressor clutch. Fuse 29 (15A) is for the condensor fan. Fuse 2 (15A) is for the coolant temp switch. Fuse 8 (7.5A) is for heater control and fan switch.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

From the schematics i've been looking at, fuse 12 is not in any of the A/C circuits. Fuse 7 (7.5A) is for the compressor clutch. Fuse 29 (15A) is for the condensor fan. Fuse 2 (15A) is for the coolant temp switch. Fuse 8 (7.5A) is for heater control and fan switch.
GOOD JOB AGENT........i was about to tell him to double chk the fuse # ,, cause as you said thee is no fuse # 12 ,,

try something,,,,, disconnect the plug that goes to the compressor ( red wire ) ,, if it stops blowing the fuse the issue is with the clutch and or coil ...
if it still blows the fuse then we have to trouble shoot from there on
but i need to know which fuse it is for sure

Old 06-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Hondabeater
Unregistered

Agent im sorry I was going from memory last night I just checked it out it is number 7 the clutch relay.

Quick Reply: 91 Accord ac blowing fuses