General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 91 Accord Electrical Problems

I changed my trunk lid so i could put aftermarket lights in because they wouldnt fit with my stock trunk lid. My stock trunk lid didnt have a spoiler but the one i just put on does with a brake light on it. After it got changed my brake lights didnt work. My friend was testing the wires to see if they were working and my instrument panel flased and my clock stopped working. After that the seat belts didnt work and it wouldnt let me push in the button to shift out of park. He replaced a couple blown fuses and everything worked besides brake lights so today he tried fixing them. He took out the brake light switch and replaced it with another one and then everything stopped working again but no fuses are blown. We tried replacing the relays. Could this maybe be the fuse board or ecu?

Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Something is up with the lights at the back that were replaced-either on the "trunk" light or the aftermarket lights.

I'd start with disconnecting the rear lights-have to sort that out later (of course you can't drive until that is sorted out). Double check the fuses, under dash and under hood. Using an old book for the 91-the WHT/YEL should be "hot" to the brake switch. Start there.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok I messed with a few things last night and i got everything working again besides my brake light switch. I plugged the switch half in and used a tester to see if its getting power. I touched a couple fo the prongs together and it did click my clutch so I can put it in gear but it didnt do anything to my brakes. Then when I plug it in all the way and have it how it should be it didnt even click my clutch so I can shift into gear. I have even tried a different switch and it didnt do anything either. I did do a trunk lid swap to the newer one so i could fit my aftermarket tail lights. I had to splice the wires together and all the colors of the wires matched up. I have even tried disconnecting the trunk lid to see if it would make it work again but it didnt. It also the brake lamp light is on and its sayin the trunk is open. Somone please help me

Old 02-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 91 Accord Electrical Problems

Hi im having trouble with my brake light switch. My brake lights are working and clutch isnt relasing so i cant put it in gear. Someone told me the white and yellow wire should be hot but its not lighting up when i test it but when i test the sea foam green wire it is hot. If i jump the sea foam green wire to any other wire the clutch releases. When i tested all the other wires nothing was hot. I also tried jumping all the other wires but it also did nothing. Does anybody know where I could find a free online manual for my 91 accord lx. I need to find out what wires are susposed be what. Maybe someone knows that they should be. There are 4 wires. One is green with a white stripe, another is yellow and white, another is sea foam green, and the last is silver. Please help this is very frustrating

Old 02-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a volt meter?

What happens if you push in the button of the brake switch with a screwdriver?

Old 02-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No i dont have a volt meter. Thats not how the switch works. When the brake ISNT being pressed the petal push the button and when IT IS pressed it lets off the button and it releases the clutch and should make the brakes lights go on and release the clutch so u can put in gear. Its not doing nothing though. The yellow and white wire isnt hot like it should be but the sea foam green one is. I need to know what all the 4 wires should be

Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

I hope you don't mind, I deleted your other two threads and copied the manual thread to this one, so things don't get confusing.

The Online Manuals thread in the DIY section has a sooner link where you can get a 91 shop manual. There is also a web version to the 91 that I found.

That wht/yel wire needs to have voltage the switch to work. Check for a blown fuse. The online manual say Fuse #25, 20amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

oh ok i was wondering y they were deleted lol. i have no blown fuses when i checked last night but ill check one more time just to be safe. can u supply me with a link to the manual. im having a little trouble finding it

Old 02-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

I also deleted the HELP titled thread.

Here is the link: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ead.php?t=4597

You can download the pdf of the 91 from the spooner link, but it is very unorganized. You can use the link to the 91 manual that I posted that has an index. The Cruise Control part under the Electrical shows the wiring diagram.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

im still having troubles getting a manual

Quick Reply: 91 Accord Electrical Problems