General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 Accord ex

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 01:46 AM
jeeplikens
Unregistered
Default 91 Accord ex

Friends Accord's battery light has been coming on. A quick check showed some bad accid buildup on the negative post. I clean it and the positive post. Didn't help. Voltage out of the alt is 11.55volts. Battery, same. With lights on, they do not dim or get brighter with rev'ng the engine. This car is my nieces and I'm about the get it for free (got a kid ready to get driving permit). My first feeling is the alt is going bad but I don't know if the 11plus volts is ok. Battery was replaced almost 3 years ago. It was about 20 outside so I didn't spend much time disco'ng the cables and running the car off the alternator only. No repair manual so was wondering what is the output volts for the alt?

Old 12-06-2005, 02:39 AM
Administrator
Default RE: 91 Accord ex

Hello...
A fully charged battery will show up with a 12.6 volts or higher.

If you have an AutoZone in your area, I would go to them and let them check out the starting system which would include the alternater, battery and the starter.

WheelBrokerAng[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 12-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

u need an alternator............make sure to install a factory altyernator,,,,it will last a lot longer than those cheap omes

Old 12-06-2005, 02:04 PM
jeeplikens
Unregistered

The car has 181k on it now. It's been to the Honda dealer for EVERYTHING since it was bought new. Sister-in-law just bought a new Ford Escape and my niece is getting something, not sure what yet, but I was offered the car for my son when he gets his lic next year. So where is a good place online to get parts for the accord that's cheaper then the dealer? It's going in for an oil change so maybe I can get the electrical system checked too. Thanks to all for your response.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Sliom001
Unregistered

I have had pretty good luck with parts ordered from one of the e-bay stores. After the search, look at the customer satisfaction rating for the parts dealer. I found one with several thousand customer responses with no negative responses. Most recently I had to replace the Vehicle Speed Sensor on a 1991 Accord. Dealer wanted to charge $200 for the part and another $180 for the installation, a repair shop wanted $270 for a used VSS. I purchased from E-Bay for $45 for a new part, it took me all of 20 minutes to replace and it has been working great for about 9 months.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Sliom001
Unregistered

I just checked on E-Bay and found an alternator for a 1991 Honda Accord. It is $35 to buy now, and the dealer has had 2496 feedbacks with a 99.5% positive feedback rate. This was just one example, and I have had very good experience purchasing auto parts from E-Bay. I am not sure if they allow links to be posted, but here is a link to the alternator:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ADME:B:EF:US:1

Good luck!