General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 Accord LX

Old 11-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Default 91 Accord LX

I've been having a weird issue. When my gas tank gauge is about 1/4 full, and I either come to a quick stop or coast to a stop the rpm's drop to about 300ish and the car just eventually dies. But when I put gas in it, it generally never happens. Thoughts?

Old 11-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

The fuel pump (inside the tank) has a nozzle with a screen down at the bottom of the tank. If that's cracked or loose it can suck air from above the bottom of the tank. When that crack is submerged its OK...

I don't know 91's very well... you might have a round cover under the back seat (or towards the forward extreme of the trunk floor) where you can get to the fuel pump without dropping the fuel tank.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Unless the 91 is different from 90 Accord (don't think so), the fuel pump can't be accessed from fuel level sensor cover plate. Pump is on driver's side of tank. Only way to access is to drop the tank. Not a horrible job, but no fun day either. You want to be sure it's necessary.

Any other failure-to-start issues? Main Fuel Relay can sometimes present baffling no-start issues.

There is a baffle in the tank intended to prevent loss of fuel when decelerating. When I pulled the fuel pump on my 94 Accord, I only found a plastic inlet screen at the base of the pump to catch large debris.

Maybe fuel pressure is marginal and lower level is reducing pressure below fuel injection function level. A new fuel filter is cheap and easy to install on 90 Accord, and probably 91 Accord. Might be worth a try.

I've had a similar issue on my 94EX after fuel pump replacement. Just yesterday, I found that my ECU had some defects. I'm now wondering if those defects (cracked solder connections possibly) could have caused the sudden dying on heavy deceleration. This was a rare occurence.

good luck

Old 11-24-2010, 05:07 PM

No other issues as far as starting or anything. Just that issue, and sometimes when the car dies the battery light comes on alone. But we checked all the major electrical things and they all check ok. Everything other time it dies the regular lights come on when it dies.

Search this Thread