General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 accord lx hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:18 PM
jerico
Unregistered
Default 91 accord lx hesitation

Hi Folks-

I'm new to posting, but not the forum. What an incredible resource! I didn't intend to post so soon, as I've been trying to collect the information through other posts and the DIY section, however, during my troubleshooting I've created another issue.

The car hesitates, stumbles on acceleration from arouind 2000-3000 rpm's - if you back off the throttle a bit, it clears up. So far, I've pulled and cleaned the EGR plug area and replaced the TPS. I was starting on the plug/ wire/ distributor area next. While it was idling, it seemed to be running on 3 cylinders, so I pulled the number four wire off the plug, attempting to rule out which one was not firing. The car died and now won't start. What have I done?!?!

Thanks-jerico

Old 10-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 91 accord lx hesitation

First check to see if you are getting spark on a plug installed in one spark lead and grounded to the engine, while someone turns the engine over and you observe. You should get a nice blue or pink-blue spark across the plug. If no spark, post back for further guidance.

If you have spark, check fuel pressure rail for fuel by turning keyswitch to on, cracking the pressure access port banjo bolt and looking for a good, strong spray of fuel. If no fuel pressure, it could be fuel pump, or main fuel relay. Post again for guidance.

good luck

Old 10-11-2007, 02:03 AM

Go with TexasHonda, pulling a plug wire off is a sure way to fry an ignition coil.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:44 AM

Here are the reasons why you might stumble on accel,

1) Fouled spark plugs
2) Fuel injection system faulty
3) Fuel filter clogged
4) Incorrect ignition timing
5) Intake manifold air leak

One easy way to check to see if you are getting fuel is to crank the engine over several times. Then remove a spark plug and see if it smells like fuel. If it does then you are getting good fuel, and your problem might be spark plug/ignition related.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:20 AM
jerico
Unregistered

OK, good fuel flow at the fuel rail, but no spark. Think I cook the coil?

Thanks for the direction

jerico

Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 AM

I bet you did. Does your model have an external or internal coil? I thought the 91 modelswere made witheither/or so you had to actually look at it to tell.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 AM
jerico
Unregistered

Must be internal - there's no "5th" wire feeding the distributor cap.

jerico

Old 10-11-2007, 09:37 AM

Hmmm... I'm not too sure how to test an internal coil. Haynes and Chilton manuals (there is a link to a free onlineChilton manual in the DIY section 4th post from the top)often give simple coil tests, although I know sometimessimple coil tests can give faulty readings so it may be necessary to test in a more complex way. Hopefully one of our pro's will provide some insight here.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:44 AM
jerico
Unregistered

I'll check the DIY section, thanks for your help!

jerico

Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM
jerico
Unregistered

I'm a moron......it has an external coil. (neither has a 5th wire)

Quick Reply: 91 accord lx hesitation