General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 Accord Maintenece

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Hondabeater
Unregistered
Default 91 Accord Maintenece

Looking for some information on this 91 Accord I just purchased. The vehicle has only 76k miles on it. In really good condition. Perfect interior and everything works. I want to make sure I am getting the best gas milage I can get for the beater.

I changed the oil because it went a while since the last change. Used 10-w30 and replaced the air cleaner.
What does the timing need to be set to in order to get great gas milage, right now it idles at right under 10000 rpms like maybe 6 to 7 on the dial.

Also it was in a minor wreck and seems to pull to the left but just barely. Was hit on the driver side. They replaced the hood and fender and new raidiator. But the wheel is turned to the right some when you drive forward. Anyway this can be fixed?

Should I run some injector cleaner through the car or get the transmission fluid replaced? It is an Automatic and runs like a champ I just want to keep it in good condition so I can sell it for what I paid for in a few months.

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 91 Accord Maintenece

hey if you want the best gas mileage then a few things need to be done. plugs ( i always do the wires too) but its probably not neccessary, distributor cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter (its located on the firewall just to the left of the throttle body). and air up your tires! changing the transmission fluid is a good idea if its an auto. if you use anything but the dealship only zr-f1 fluid or whatever its called your tranny may f up, so use it. top off your fluids especially in your battery if its low, just use distilled water all cells should be about 1/2 from the top. if your coolant is old as **** you should change some of it out if not all, there is a drain on the bottom of the radiator. and if the timing belt has never been changed, you definately need to do it immediately, because its not just about mileage its about time too. the ecu controls the timing of the vehicle and this should not need to be changed at any time, the computer sets the optimal settings for has mileage.

lightshow

Old 01-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Hondabeater
Unregistered

Anyone verify some of this. From what you tell me I just need a tune up. Which I can perform myself. I thought I read somewhere that DesertHonda mentioned to a person to check their timing could this be incorrect?

Also why do you think I need to replace my timing belt? How long does a timing belt last? Also when do you think transmission fluid needs to be changed?

Also what can I do about the wheel pulling to the right? As well as the steering wheel not being straight.

What should the idle be set at while I am in drive?

Old 01-11-2006, 08:22 PM

you should replace the timing belt if it has not been done... light was right it has also to do with time,, rubber cracks also keep in mind that timing belt has a lot more than themiles on the odometer, anytime car is idling ( stop lites ) timing belt still spins but miles do not accumulate ..
yes you can set the timing , on the 91 there is a rubber plug below top radiator hose, hook up a timing lite , car at idle ( 750-850).
, in park or neutral and chk timing,, with timing lite set at zero , timing should be on the red mark ( the middle of 3 marks ) there is also a white mark a bit froward of that , that's the top dead center mark,, Anyho, if timing is slightly off , you can loosen the 3 distr bolts and turn it 1 way or another to set timing properly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you cannot see the timing marks than cam timing is off but that;s another different story.
Tranny fluid if it is auto tranny do it every 15,000 miles . 5sp tranny every 30k,,,
I would also advice to do an alignment, there might be some bent suspension parts not visible to the naked eye,,

Old 01-13-2006, 02:30 AM

excellent resonse desert a+ i completely concur

lightshow

Old 08-17-2006, 10:03 PM

I noticed there was no mention as to the damage done when the timing belt breaks.

It is at least 1200bucks worth of top end damage provided you do not crack the pistion when it slams into the last valve to open.

P

Old 08-18-2006, 12:37 AM

if the timing belt breaks the engine will jump time and not run anymore

Old 08-18-2006, 02:00 AM

ORIGINAL: drummer1279

if the timing belt breaks the engine will jump time and not run anymore
that is correct ,,but the valves will hang open and the piston might hit it,,,,,,,,,thus bent valves, broken valve guides ,, piston damage