General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 accord no electricity

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Deimos
Unregistered
Angry 91 accord no electricity

Hi, I have a 91 accord ex that's been giving me problems. The first time was at a stop light and the engine light flashed on for about 2 seconds and then I stopped and the car cut off, all lights on and flashing d4(happened everytime it cut off). About 5 minutes later the car cut on and I made it to work.
The second time, the same night, I was driving home and it just shut off with no warnings but the tachmeter dropped and i was just rolling. I pulled it to the side of the road and had to wait about 10 minutes and the car started and I let it sit there for a while to see what would happen, it cut off again...didnt start back up after that. I replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor button. the car started but it seemed like it didnt want to.

I drove it to work and was almost there until i got to a stop light and then it cut off again...all lights came on. I tried to crank but the battery seemed weak because with every crank the lights would get dimmer and dimmer. So its been sitting in my yard and i replaced the battery because it didnt want to hold a charge and now when i turn the key to 2, no lights at all come on or anything. Can someone place give me small clue as to what is going on lol. thanks

Last edited by Deimos; 02-21-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I suspect you have a failed ignition switch. It is allowing power to the ignition to be lost which causes an instant engine stoppage. When you turn keyswitch to ON (II) position, the Alt and Check Engine lights should come on. When they don't, failed keyswitch is indicated. Look in DIY or online for procedures. I had to do this recently on my 94EX and it was very easy job. Part costs about $35.

good luck