General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord Slips Out of ALL Gears after 30 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Default 91 Accord Slips Out of ALL Gears after 30 seconds

1991 Honda Accord LX, 2.2L, auto trans, recent trans swap. No codes read, no CEL, no flashing lights.

My wife called me while driving our 91 Honda Accord to lunch yesterday and told me that the tranny went out of gear, she turned the car off, waited, and then started it and it went into gear just to go out again a few secs later. I went to get her, checked the car and this is what its doing still: Start the car, it goes into all gears both Sports and Regular modes, then slips out of all gears about 15 to 30 secs later. ALSO, if I start the car and wait 60 secs and try to put it into gear it WILL NOT. Fluid level seems fine, fluid clear (cking fluid level with engine OFF, correct?). I had my daughter turn the key on (no start) while I listened to the lockup solenoids. THey clicked on. Is this supposed to happen? I thought they only came on when you put the car in gear.

History: I JUST got this car on the road, inspected and tagged. I had to change the tranny because my wife accidentally shifted into reverse while moving forward. Nuff said . Anyhow, got the new tranny from junk yard. It worked fine. I have actually driven the car close to 3000 miles already before this started happening.

I will be working on this problem for the next few days. If I come up with a solution I will post it here for you all. Any and all help is appreciated. This is our ONLY family car. The only other vehicle we have is my 95 Ford diesel truck which will put us in a homeless shelter if we have to depend on it for daily transpo. lol

Old 08-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Supper Moderator

sounds like your clutch pack has gone bad. How many miles where on the trans when you got it from the JY? Hate to say it but you might have to get another trans or rebuild this one. I have go through 3 trans in my 93 be4 I swapped it over to 5speed that and I hate auto trans with a passion.

Did you do a drain and fill like 5 times after you had it installed? That would be the 1st thing you need to do. You could have crap in your tq. converter. But I still think your clutch pack is toast for dealing with the few auto trans I have swapped out over the last few years.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Almost A Senior Member

A quick suggestion...You need to check the ATF level with the car warmed up and the motor RUNNING...Not OFF...I suspect the torque converter has a blockage. Drain and refill it a couple of times and report back with the results. Good Hunting !!

Old 08-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Your torque converter is failing, (very common problem with Hondas/Acuras) and contaimminate the transmission, all the clutch material went inside the filter and block the fluid from going through when you're driving, shut the car off will let all the material settling down, so when you restart the car you can drive it a little bit until the filter get clog up again, drain and fill the fluid a few times might help, but keep in mind that the trans life is almost over, it will need an overhaul or another one.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Supper Moderator

take this man’s word he knows what he talking about when it comes to the transmissions

Old 08-06-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by piggylover1985
Your torque converter is failing, (very common problem with Hondas/Acuras) and contaimminate the transmission, all the clutch material went inside the filter and block the fluid from going through when you're driving, shut the car off will let all the material settling down, so when you restart the car you can drive it a little bit until the filter get clog up again, drain and fill the fluid a few times might help, but keep in mind that the trans life is almost over, it will need an overhaul or another one.
Well, that doesnt explain why it shifts SOLIDLY (no slipping) after every restart. 30 secs or so later it justs LET'S GO. It doesn't "slip". BTW, there is no clutch "material" in a torque converter. It is a fluid coupling device, all metal. The clutch packs are in the tranny housing. It DOES seem like something is clogging up. Can't I change the tranny filter in addition to changing the fluid?? I'll change the fluid once or twice and post the results.

Thanks for all the responses.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:48 AM

I'm gonna change the fluid, but I didn't think there was clutch "material" IN a torque converter. All the clutch packs are inside the tranny housing, right? And the trans is holding solidly, no slipping. Then it justs lets go like it lost hydraulic pressure.

Thanks for the help. I'll report back.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by DragonHeart335
Well, that doesnt explain why it shifts SOLIDLY (no slipping) after every restart. 30 secs or so later it justs LET'S GO. It doesn't "slip". BTW, there is no clutch "material" in a torque converter. It is a fluid coupling device, all metal. The clutch packs are in the tranny housing. It DOES seem like something is clogging up. Can't I change the tranny filter in addition to changing the fluid?? I'll change the fluid once or twice and post the results.

Thanks for all the responses.
Sounds like you have deep knowledge about transmission,
but did you read my reply message, after you shut off the car, it means that the pump and converter is not turning so there is no fluid suction through the filter, which means the contaiminated fluid will settle back down along with clutch materrial, when you restart the car the fluid will get suck up the filter through the pump again and it can be driven for a short time until the filter gets clogged up again and it will slip, keep driving it you will end up burning up all other clutch packs inside the transmission. You don't have to take my word for it, we're just trying to help here. Anyway if you can change the filter in a Honda auto transmission then just do it.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Supper Moderator

you can't change the trans filter. It's non serviceable. You have to tear down the whole trans to get to it. Also when you drain and fill clean the drain bolt. It is magnetized and will collect most of the metal shavings. Just make sure to wipe it off really good be4 you re-install it.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Sounds like you have deep knowledge about transmission,
No need to be a dick. I'm simply having a conversation and asking questions. I appreciate the help. I went to auto school years ago, but only worked the trade for a short time. Since then I've fixed all of my own stuff with good success. I've never rebuilt a tranny, however, and the Honda's are a new animal for me.

As it turns out, you are right. The trans is getting worse. Looks like a rebuild.

Quick Reply: 91 Accord Slips Out of ALL Gears after 30 seconds