General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord tach jumping, missing, occasional stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Default 91 Accord tach jumping, missing, occasional stalling

Hi y'all,
Brand new, first post, so bear with me - I'll try not to leave anything out. I've had a 91 accord automatic (with 138,000 miles) for about 6 months. It drove perfectly for 3 months, then starting having issues where the tach jumps around randomly, the engine feels like it's missing, and the car will occasionally stall (1-2 times / week).

Details:
- Car starts perfectly every time, no problem. Even when it stalls I can put it in neutral, start it, and start driving again before I've really even slowed down. I've been driving it 10-15 miles a day every day like this and the problem hasn't really gotten worse.
- The misfires only happen once the car is warmed up, they happen randomly but regularly (at least once during every drive), and usually while I'm acclerating.
- The stalls pretty much always occur when I'm coasting, but not necessarily braking.
- No CEL during any of this.
- Also, when I first turn the car key to on, sometimes the battery light and/or check engine light don't come on like they are supposed to. Sometimes they do, randomly.
- I have tried wiggling the key around to see if it might be the ignition switch, but that doesn't seem to affect it at all.
- The car has new (last 6 months) alternator, ignitor, spark plugs and wires, and fuel filter.
- I have also removed and cleaned the IAC valve.

Friends have suggested either ignition coil or possibly a loose or damaged ground somewhere that is affecting the ignition system. Any thoughts? Would a faulty coil allow the car to start right back up after stalling? I don't want to throw money at the car and I'm kind of new to this whole DIY thing. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks

Old 09-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

When the check engine light does not turn on, does the car start up and run normally?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:19 PM

Yes, it starts fine every time - but has the same running issues once it gets warmed up.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

I would start with simple stuff first. Disconnect the battery cables, then clean off all ends of both cables with a wire brush.

Also, when the battery is disconnected, unbolt the ground on the thermostat housing and also clean that. See pic below.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:36 AM

Ok, done. Battery terminals and cables and the ground on the thermostat housing all looked ok, but cleaned and reattached them anyway. No difference in the car's driving. Also checked for codes yesterday and didn't get any (which I guess is not suprising since there was no CEL). Other ideas? I really appreciate the suggestions.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

PA, what is that picture from? Should be lower radiator hose if that's a 4-cyl thermostat?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:02 PM

Yeah, it was on the lower radiator hose in my car.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

I found the pic on techauto.awardspace.com.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like a Honda stat-housing, just mis-labeled.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

I never owned a 4th gen accord. Hopefully the picture is correct, so the ground can be easily found. I guess that the picture is mislabeled.

Quick Reply: 91 Accord tach jumping, missing, occasional stalling