General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 honda accord

Old 01-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Default 91 honda accord

My steering wheel makes a clunking sound when I turn the wheels. it only does it when the wheels are strait and I turn the wheel slightly to the left or right, but it only does it when the wheels are in that position. what could it be it seems to get louder and louder every day.
thanks

Old 01-13-2006, 02:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 91 honda accord

just one clunk? or multiple ones. two things it could be. rack going out. which is unlikely unless its leaking right now and has been for a while. or.....Axles. if it makes noise when your going straight and your on the gas, its your inside cv joints. when your turning and you hear the clunks its your outer cv joints. you can rebuilt axles for 65 bucks apiece! cheap, and its really easy to do. let me know if this is the problem and you decide to do it yourself, id be happy to give you the complete rundown on how to do it and tell you how to get across some areas where you may get stuck.

lightshow

Old 01-13-2006, 11:58 AM

on top of lightshow suggestions,, if it is only 1 clunk it could be worn p/s rack mounting bushings,,, if badly worn it will make the p/s rack shift on its mounting bushings thus making noise ..................If a series of clunks on turns,,, outer cv joint worn,

Old 01-13-2006, 07:18 PM

yes it is onne clunk that only does it when the tires are turned from being straight. my axle dont make noise but when I accelerate it pulls to the left and when I let off it stops pulling. Im going to check what you guys said to check. nothings leaking though except my motor oil. but thats another story.
thanks

Old 01-13-2006, 11:22 PM

ok this is the best way to find out what is wrong is to cancel out what isnt. so the axles are good. now like was said earlier, it may be the mounting points for the rack. make sure they are in good shape and tight.

also, it may be your tie rod ends. check for play by turning your actual tire left and right when it is off the ground. it should not be able to move at all unless the opposite wheel is also moving.

also, you lower ball joint may be going out. this can be easily confirmed if you have a lot of tire wear on the inside of your tire. to check this though, pull out your trusty crow bar and wedge it in there where the lower ball joint is at. there should be very little play if any at all. this may cause what your talking about.

lightshow

Old 01-14-2006, 04:22 AM

I forgot to mention that the upper ball joints are shot and I already replaced my tie rod ends. so I think that its the mounting points from the rack. were would that be located and how do I check that. thanks

Old 01-14-2006, 10:12 PM

just jack the car up and slide underneath. the rack sits pretty far back there youll see the bar underneath the motor just follow it all the way back and thats where the rack is. then you will see the bolts that hold the rack on.

lightshow

Old 01-15-2006, 07:57 AM

if the upper ball joints are shot as you say,,,,,,,,,you should replace them if bad enough it could tilt the wheel inward or outward causing a change in camber camber , that could make car pull and be noisy

Old 01-15-2006, 06:51 PM

yea if your upper ball joints are bad then you may want to change all the bushings on the front end. its really easy

lightshow

Old 01-15-2006, 09:32 PM

I really appreciate the info but I will not be able to respond for about three weeks because im going out of town so when I get back I will post on what the damage is. thanks alot again.

Search this Thread