General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Honda Accord will not crank, battery good, just hear a relay or something?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:04 AM
Default 91 Honda Accord will not crank, battery good, just hear a relay or something?

Hello everyone, My 91 Honda Accord LX will not stat? I know the battery is good and I even tried to jump start it. All I hear is a click of some sort like a relay or something. This all start happening after I removed the battery and put it back in. I do have a after market car alarm in the mix as well. All the lights work, radio, wipers, ect... I have charged the battery and checked fuses under the dash and they look good I believe. I can not see real good but it looks like the neg battery cable going down to something on the engine looks frayed or worn. Where do I start to fix this? This car has been a great car and I hope someone here can guide me through fixing it.

Thanks so much!!

Robert

Old 05-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Is this an auto or manual trans?

Is the "click" coming from inside the car or under the hood.

Verify you are getting voltage to the "small" wire going to the starter solenoid when you turn the key to start.

I'd also double check the battery cables to be sure they are clean and tight.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:03 AM

Is this an auto or manual trans?

This is an Automatic

Is the "click" coming from inside the car or under the hood.

Sounds like the inside but will double check.

Verify you are getting voltage to the "small" wire going to the starter solenoid when you turn the key to start.

Where is this and how do I check. I have a meter I believe.

I'd also double check the battery cables to be sure they are clean and tight.

They are tight and clean

Old 05-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

There is a small BLK/WHT wire going to the starter, it might have a rubber "boot" over it. It slides off (spade connector), give it a pull.

Put the red lead from your meter on the wire and black lead from the meter to "body ground", have someone turn the key to "start" - what is the voltage reading?

Old 05-12-2014, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
There is a small BLK/WHT wire going to the starter, it might have a rubber "boot" over it. It slides off (spade connector), give it a pull.

Put the red lead from your meter on the wire and black lead from the meter to "body ground", have someone turn the key to "start" - what is the voltage reading?
I will try that after work today. Thanks so much. Stupid question? Is the starter on the left side top of the engine? near the battery?

Old 05-12-2014, 06:37 AM

yes it is

Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 PM

With the wire off it is showing 11.5 When I connect it back up and check it is lower like 9.5. Is there a way to jump the starter manually to get it running? What should I check next? I wish I could remove the alarm to take that out of the mix.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

If the battery voltage drops to 9.5 just from connecting up the wire, presumably very little electrical load; then that sounds like a bad battery.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 PM

I did charge the battery and also tried jump starting it and nothing still. There is a wire coming from the neg bat terminal that looks sort of frayed that leads down towards the ground and bolts to the frame. Could this be the issue? What would you try next? Thanks so much

Old 05-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

To jump your starter, connect a jumper cable to the post where the blk/wht wire connects. Turn your key to the II position. Then touch the other end of your jumper to the + battery terminal. This should spin the starter for you.

Just to avoid confusion, use the + on the jumper cable. Also, make sure that the copper teeth only touch the post and not the body of the starter.

Quick Reply: 91 Honda Accord will not crank, battery good, just hear a relay or something?