General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Default 92 Accord

I have a 92 accord that we got a week ago. It had a transmission problem, but the car was only $750. So, we bought it anyway. The car wouldn't shift by itself(4 speed automatic) and it only had 2 speeds, 2 and 3 . The battery went bad right away too. But when we put a new battery in it, it started shifting correctly. All 4 gears

What gives? Is there an electronically controlled shift module or something?

Also, it has a small shake when accelerating too. Is that common on these?

Thanks, bob

Old 05-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 92 Accord

When you removed the old battery and installed new battery you reset the transmission control unit (TCU). That model Accord had a problem w/ electronic components on the TCU, which causes shift problems, noises from relays, and S light to stay on. You may need a replacement or repair to the TCU, but problelm may never come back either. Usually problem returns after some time.

Good news is used or repaired TCU is not outrageous. Check car-part.com and ebay for used parts. Google for repair shops who will fix the burnt out components on the circuit board.

good luck

Old 05-04-2008, 08:25 PM

Thanks TexasHonda, That's great news. I never had a transmission problem that was so easily corrected. I'll check on the TCU component. Until then I suppose I can just unhook and rehook up the battery.

My son did say the other day that it shifted from 4th down to like 2nd when he was on the highway. He pull off the highway and drooped it into neutral. It was fine after that

Old 05-14-2008, 12:17 AM

I tried to find the LED on the TCU (under pass. floor carpet) but it either doesn't have a light or it isn't working. I then tried to find the Service Hookup jack. I can't find that either.

Is that something that needs to be unplugged from a plug or is it just an open jack?

A link with a diagram would be very helpfull

thanks, bob

Old 05-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

You should be able to count the code(s) stored on the TCU by shorting the service connector and counting the S light flashes. The retrieve CEL link on this page shows the location on a 94, but the 92 has it in the same location.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/

Old 05-14-2008, 01:47 PM

OK thanks.

I did see a plug that has 2 plugs going in and one of them had the 2 wires. On mine it's over in between the glove box area and the side wall. It's up there pretty far. I hope I don't tear it up unplugging it.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:21 PM

Well first try didn't accomplish anything. I pulled the plug that had 2 wires (it wasn't blue, it was brown) jumped it and turned the key on to the 2nd pos.

Nothing on the dash blinked. Could I have gotten the wrong plug?

Also the link said the "CEL" light would blink. What is that?

I'll go look for another plug.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:30 PM

Duh! CEL +check engine light

Old 05-14-2008, 02:40 PM

OK, the only plugs under there are

Brown 2-wire
Brown 5-wire
White 3 wire

And a big white one with a bunch of wires going in but not out. And it's capped off. Like a diagnostic hookup or something like that.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Your connector may be brown. It will have two wires going to it and is plugged into a dummy connector near the hinge on the glove box. So if the brown two wire connector is plugged into a connector with no wires coming out of it, then you found your service connector.

Make sure that you are making a good connection with the paper clip on the contacts, because that has happened with other members when they first do this. Turn the key to the on position, but don't start the car. The D4 light should flash you the codes on the TCU. You can look at the CEL for codes that might be stored on the ECU as well.