General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 accord acting strange

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Default 92 accord acting strange

ok I need some help.. I have a 92 accord lx 181,000 miles it has developed a miss in the engine when it is idling, it has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter and all the motor/trans mounts are fine. also have an issue with my brakes, everytime I run my A/C the brake pedal will go to the floor like im losing brake pressure and its hard to stop. the transmission also likes to hop in and out of overdrive at highway speeds.

please help

Old 08-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 92 accord acting strange

Try the Tech forum, this one here's basically for new guys to introduce themselves.

Now then... Does your brake pedal sink smoothly to the floor when you're holding it, like at a red light? Have you looked for fluid leaking OUT anywhere? If it sinks like that (& worse when hot) it's almost always a bad master cylinder. They leak internally, back to the reservoir, so that's why there's no loss of fluid.

For the misfiring, maybe one injectors is getting clogged? You could try putting something (Techron concentrate?) into the gas tank. That's easy & cheap vs. having the injectors professionally cleaned.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:21 AM

i have come to the conclusion that I do have to replace my master cylinder. as for the misfire its reallypuzzling because it only misfires at idle, when im running at any speed its ok, I have used chevron, stp, lucas, and gumout fuel system cleaners in it and it still does the same thing.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Did you verify the gap of the spark plugs? Sometimes they're gapped wrong in the box.

Get any check-engine lights?

Old 08-06-2006, 12:22 AM

yes all 4 plugs have the .044 gap, and I havent been getting any check engine or any other lights for that matter as far as the sensor/ecm system goes the car is running fine.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:36 AM

check the seals for the spark plug ports under the lifter assembly you could have a leak (oil) making it miss. for the tranny i have the same problem, probably the cpu going out like most 90-93 accords do. or ur tranny is coming apart.

Old 08-06-2006, 07:06 PM

ok I will give the plug seals a check then.. the trasnmision other than not wanting to stay in overdrive is working like it should. is there a way I could disengage the overdrive totally?

Old 08-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

make sure all the injectors are firing properly,,,,,,,,,as suggested by JIMBLAKE ,,,,,,, valve too tight ?? do a compression test as well..
as far as the tranny goes you might be experiencing what we call torque convertor hunting...........have a tech make sure that the throttle cable going to tranny is adjusted properly
also could have an issue with the lock up solenoid .....
.for the brake pedal sinking , most likely is the brake master cylinder leaking internally..

Old 08-06-2006, 09:38 PM

Ive already gotten a new master cylinder and am going to replace it. I know that the automatic tranny for my particular model has a 2.5 quart fluid capacity, now is that just the transmission or the trans and torque coverter combined?? the last time I changed the tranny fluid i put 2.5 quarts in there, im just curious if I accidentally put too much in there. you guys are cool this forum rocks.

1992 Honda Accord LX

Old 08-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Automatic trannys only drain 1/3 to 1/2 of thier fluid. Much of that is because the torque converter doesn't drain, but there's also a bunch that just hangs out in the tranny itself. That's pretty normal, it's not just Honda.

Check the level with the tranny dipstick. Hondas ARE unusual about checking tranny oil. Most other cars want you to check the dipstick when it's warmed up & idling in PARK. Most Hondas should be checked when they're warmed up, in PARK, & turned OFF. Better verify that in your owner's manual, because I don't own a '92...

Quick Reply: 92 accord acting strange