General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 accord ex rack n pinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 12:35 AM
Default 92 accord ex rack n pinion

1992 accord ex rack n pinion, there are 4 tubing connections going to rack, 17mm,14mm, two 12mm, I want to make sure I did not get the two 12's switched.... of the two 12mm's on the rack the opening that's closest to driverside wheel is higher than the 12mm to the right.... the one I connected to the left extends further, n rides in higher of the two, crosses perpendicularlly the connected rightside line that's already 90'd down to the rack, then left side line turns down towards rack, has a bigger offset and from what I can trace changes to rubber before going into a fitting and looks like exits with 2 lines...the 12mm I connected to the right side looks as though it also travels to the right, towards passenger side direction, and goes in at back of engine, I'm only guessing, maybe a speed sensor deal??....I believe I have them correct, but I am installing rack #2 just 4 months after installing the 1st one due to a seal fail....I'm also going to replace the o-ring on pump, which has only 1 on my application. I was not very sufficient on air removal on 1st go around....I somewhat pinched the rubber tubing line that runs between the 2 inner tie rod slinky boots and thought maybe the seal fail was the result???? Honda discontinued this part so I purchased one from advance auto parts...I know racks setting on the shelf for extended periods isnt good 4 a seal, I figure this repair is not performed often on a 92 model. I have hunted for a tubing diagram and even got a schematic print out from the dealer and still have a question mark above my head???? Should have marked the dang lines!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! She's still on blocks. Its time to be in the tree with your bow. Still yet...She got the best of me!!..L.C.
Please help????

Last edited by green92ex; 10-28-2019 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Detail
Old 10-19-2019, 11:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Welcome to forum. I have a '92 daily driver, but I'm out of state for a few days now without the car. So, in your post, is clear frustration with good description, but what do you want specifically in reply? a photo, a statement or ...? Maybe you can post a photo of your rack/pinion and connections and ask a question from there...?

Old 10-19-2019, 01:06 PM
Default UhOh is correct

Hey brother thx 4 reply n safe journeys, I will deffinately take n attempt to post a pic. N was jokin bout runnin er over the hill, we go 2 far back, since early 2000's. I dont believe I've switched em, nor need an o-ring on the pump, jus trying 2 be thorough b4 pouring fluid n airing out the system. The tubing lines hit the rack towards the driverside wheel, there is a small cover with 3 small bolts, guessing 10mm, over this portion of rack. I ran into a girl at the doller store, I'm guessing hers was a 93, but I didnt know her, so asking to jack her up, remove her cover, so I cud take a gander didnt seem very appropriate!!l...I replaced outer rods last attempt, n this time as well, $85 for alignment, she was my #2 in order of the 5 that I've owned, not counting new 06 I purchased 4 ex..(91 model, three 93's, n my 92 gobblin), .90-93 my fav. accord...shes the only auto. out of the 5 I've had.. older lady, 1 owner, 70k miles, so couldn't pass, only reason I rolled others, friends/r their kid, needing a car....sorry 4 the book I've wrote here, I never done much 2 previous ones I've owned in regards to maint. except the norm, why i love em, shes the reason my other rides have very low mileage.. If u'll assist me here, I'll attempt 2 give my input n future if needed. I dont claim 2 be n expert by no means, obviously, i done timing belt at 100k, n needing a 5 dollar bracket to prevent the shaft seal from popping out is info a dealer wont reveal, even while gouging u with a big bill, n politely not even installing the part, it was actually a recall n certain model years. Also, CAPTIVE rotors on the front, means exactly that!! Skynyrd, I kno a little, thx again...

Old 10-19-2019, 08:16 PM
Default Rack/pinion pics

Picture of rack/pinion 92 honda ex, the 14mm is on right side, the two lines to the left are the 12mm lines. The 17mm is on the front left, threading in from the side. [2nd pic.]- Is were the two 12mm lines turn down towards the rack. The one I have hooked to the left, rides above the 12 mm line that I have hooked on right side, beside the 14mm...Is this correct? any help would be greatly appreciated...

​​​​​​​

Old 10-19-2019, 09:14 PM
Default Rack help

I'm not asking for anyone to jack there Honda up, remove the metal cover plate protecting the tubing connections on there rack/pinion, jus to verify, but any u cats already working on your 90-93, help a brother out?? All I need to know is if the 12mm fitting I have connected on right side turns down to rack, and the other tubing crosses above n on top of it b4 turning down, n having a larger offset, b4 hooking to the opening that's little higher, and is the 2nd 12mm fitting connection on left side towards driverside wheel.....

Old 10-20-2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by green92ex
I'm not asking for anyone to jack there Honda up, remove the metal cover plate protecting the tubing connections on there rack/pinion, jus to verify, but any u cats already working on your 90-93, help a brother out?? All I need to know is if the 12mm fitting I have connected on right side turns down to rack, and the other tubing crosses above n on top of it b4 turning down, n having a larger offset, b4 hooking to the opening that's little higher, and is the 2nd 12mm fitting connection on left side towards driverside wheel.....
Were these pre-bent lines, or something you had to make up? If they're pre-bent, they should almost fall into place (their location and length). Just something I've found with working on genuine Honda lines.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:21 AM
Default Rack/pinion tubing reply

I did not install the tubing. I purchased the car in 2000, or 01 so cant be 100% certain..however, pretty confident are original to the car. I appreciate and understand what your conveying. I pushed the lines around alot and was in a heated war to get the rack removed. The two 12mm fitting lines in question would seem to go as I put them. Which rack/pinion #2 only 4 months later more n likely has nothing to do with this issue. But I want to be sure they are correct b4 moving fwd. I spoke with both an expeditor and a technician at a honda dealership, according to them, they had 6 racks to seal fail in a row, and every one was shy of the 2 month mark at fail, and all for the same customer. Honda discontinued the rack for a 92 cause the age of the vehicle, so even the dealerships have same options to acquire the part as you or I would- Advance,Napa,ORiellys, etc.. If you viewed the pics, the left side 12mm fitting opening is a little higher than the opening on right. If you switch up the 12mm lines it looks right and could be argued either way, if swapped, a connection on the right could accommodate the larger offset of the one I hooked on left side. I hooked them up based on the exact point you made. But I would love to know 4sure. I've been (RACKING) my brain trying to think of some1 who owns 90-93 yr.model so I can become satisfied b4 moving fwd. Thx for your response brother

Old 10-21-2019, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by green92ex
I did not install the tubing. I purchased the car in 2000, or 01 so cant be 100% certain..however, pretty confident are original to the car. I appreciate and understand what your conveying. I pushed the lines around alot and was in a heated war to get the rack removed. The two 12mm fitting lines in question would seem to go as I put them. Which rack/pinion #2 only 4 months later more n likely has nothing to do with this issue. But I want to be sure they are correct b4 moving fwd. I spoke with both an expeditor and a technician at a honda dealership, according to them, they had 6 racks to seal fail in a row, and every one was shy of the 2 month mark at fail, and all for the same customer. Honda discontinued the rack for a 92 cause the age of the vehicle, so even the dealerships have same options to acquire the part as you or I would- Advance,Napa,ORiellys, etc.. If you viewed the pics, the left side 12mm fitting opening is a little higher than the opening on right. If you switch up the 12mm lines it looks right and could be argued either way, if swapped, a connection on the right could accommodate the larger offset of the one I hooked on left side. I hooked them up based on the exact point you made. But I would love to know 4sure. I've been (RACKING) my brain trying to think of some1 who owns 90-93 yr.model so I can become satisfied b4 moving fwd. Thx for your response brother
I'd love to help you out, but my oldest car is a 99 Accord, which is too new for you. On it, the supply and return lines from the pump, come in from the left. I know, because I've already replaced them. The inner lines I didn't have to mess with.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't owned that year Accord, but here's a parts drawing. It's not the best for tracing the lines to their attachment on the rack, but maybe you can make some sense from it?
(for a 1992 4-door EX automatic-trans)

Old 10-24-2019, 07:38 AM
Default Racked

I appreciate it. That's the print out I got at dealership. A Technician that works there could not read the schematic and answer my question. I researched all options and could not find anything, before I turned to this forum. She is still up off the ground, and I'm still working on figuring it out. Thx again

Quick Reply: 92 accord ex rack n pinion