General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord EX shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Default 92 Accord EX shifting issues

I have a 1992 Accord EX with a Automatic transmission that I am having a problem with. Its started have intermittent shifting problems, like its stuck in 2nd gear, as of now its intermittent. Its like when you take off from a dead stop it feels like its in 2nd or third gear, I can manually shift it to first and the 1st gear lightindicator is on and also the 4th gear light is on also. Then it will correct itself and shift fine, Someone told me it might be the vehicle speed sensor, what do you think, any suggestions on trouble shooting[/align]Thanks for the help.[/align]

Old 01-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Default RE: 92 Accord EX shifting issues

Any Suggestion On what to check??

Old 01-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

First of all,, chk the fluid if dirty , burnt smell ,, replace it , use Honda ATF-Z1 3 qts

secondly ,,,, chk for tranny codes if codes,, post it here

if no codes, chk to make sure wiring at shift solenoid and lock up solenoids is ok,, if ok

remove the shift solenoid , chk to see if the screen is plugged or it has metal shavings ,, clean the screen, if access to compressed air, blow the passage at the tranny , put all together and see if that helps

if a lot or big metal shavings at the screen, tranny is coming apart internally

Old 01-21-2007, 03:04 PM

I know how to check the Engine codes by jumping the plug on the passenger side kick panel and watching the check engine light for flash's, how do you check the transmission codes? Is it the same way you just watch the gear location light?
thanks

Old 01-21-2007, 03:30 PM

I found it under DIY section

Old 01-21-2007, 04:37 PM

I checked the codes, no codes, fluid was clean looking and no burnt smell, I removed the solenoid and the screen was clean and no metal shavings, I cleaned the screen and cleaned the solenoid with carb cleaning and replaced, I reset the computer and drove, it seems to shift fine,I will follow up after driving some more, thanks for the help

Old 01-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

okay, if the problem recurs after being resetwatch the the D4 light when you turn the key to the on position, the light should come on as the system runs it's check and then turn off, if it just stays on I'd suspect the Trans Control Unit.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:53 PM

ok, You know, I was thinking, The window was left down in this car a few weeks ago during a rain shower and the passenger floor board was soked, I shop vaced the water up but the carpet was still a little damp, when i pulled back the carpet today there was moisture under it, this could effect the TCU right? it doesnt look like the TCU was directly hit with water, just the moisture form the floor board. I'll keep a eye one it. I might have to replace the TCU

Old 01-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Oh sure, Now we get the Real story !! LOL
the pins on the TCU could be suffering from a little bit of corrosion, if the problems persist, it might call for some little smears of 'conductive' grease on the connections.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Mechhead
Unregistered

If the fluid is dark and smells burnt its usally to late. The tranny is cooked and wont last to much longer after a trnamission fluid replacment. In fact if the clutches are burnt and worn replacing the fluid might make the condition worse as new fluid improves the lubricity and the worn out clutches will start to slip. Seen a case withthe owner of a audiand it ticked off the owner of the vehicle because he can now only drive it in reverse and not forward gears.

Quick Reply: 92 Accord EX shifting issues